1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Increasing Tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Vorak, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Right now my bass is tuned to C-Standard but I'm using standard .045 - .105 gauge strings. Needless to say they are pretty loose and make a lot of noise. I've been looking into getting some thicker strings but I'm not sure how thick I should go. I don't want to get standard five string .130's as I don't feel like having to sand now the nut so they would fit (I play a 4-string Schecter Stiletto). I'd like to try out .110's but I have a feeling that they won't make that much of a difference as far as tension goes. Does anybody have any suggestions? Will .110's or maybe even .120's help or should I take my bass into a shop and see if they can adjust it so I can keep the .105's?

Also, I know some people will say; "Get a five string if you are going to play in a low tuning", but I just can't play them very well. I don't like the strings being so close together or the thicker necks.

2. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    if i was you i would of just got a five string bass but i do understand that they arent for everyone.

so to answer your question i think labella do a set of strings made for tuning lower than standard. although i can't find a link on their site.

i do remember reading that Tim C out of R.AT.M uses b standard tuning and went through a stage of having a five string set but without the g but then switched to these gauges; 110 90 70 50.

hope that helps

Dave