Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Incredible House Systems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sufenta, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    So we played the Whiskey a Go Go on Sunset, LA the other night and OMG! their house sound system was absolutely amazing. I brought my rig, but all I really would have needed was a simple DI. I mean every note from all of the instruments and all of the voices were crystal clear without it really being that loud overall. Actually, I think my stage rig was detracting from the sound because of the phase conflicts. But we've played a lot of venues and nothing has ever sounded and made us sound as good. It puts all of this "perfect bass rig" chat into a new perspective.

2. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    The Fox Theater in Boulder, CO has an awesome system. They have (10) 18" subs built into the front of the stage.

Ouch!

Touch

3. Cool :cool: .

There are a couple of local venues that have quite nice house systems. I'll hopefully be a (well paid) hired sound tech for said venues in the near future, my referrals are growing as we speak. All of my musician and bandmember friends / colleagues ask me to mix their band, I have an ear for what works, and it's been a lifelong learning curve of passion and dedication.

Interesting points on topic that I've noticed over the years...

- some veteran sound engineers who are mixing bands in local venues, seem to have a goal, in which the 'challenge' is to extract max spl from the system without blowing anything up. :rolleyes: I don't care if they've been a sound tech / engineer since I was in diapers, it's not about maxing out the rig. It's about a mix that is full and rich and balanced from 20 to 20k, that never sounds annoying, and allows patrons to have a conversation while the band is playing.

- anyone /thing (PA, sound tech running it, etc) can sound loud. So what. Loud is annoying, causes hearing damage and turns people away from the venue. Get off the loud bandwagon, get on the delicious, rich - sounding wagon. The bands, club owners, and listeners all benefit.

- best of luck to my fellow talkbassers, regarding what your audience is hearing. It will make or break you. Musicianship is 60% of the equation, mix is 40%
    but it is going to impact the gig in a huge way!!! Guaranteed!!!

:)

-bimpy