Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Incredible new / old lines!

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by James S, May 9, 2003.

1. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    To all Bassists,

I just received my copy of WALKING IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF ... PAUL CHAMBERS in the mail this afternoon. I've been absorbed in playing the lines to my play-alongs I have in my computer and just took my first breath. I have done the first nine songs and WOW! what a blast!

PC's lines are gems. You have got to learn, play, and teach these walking lines. Analyzing these lines should answer alot of questions for many of you.

Rob Gourlay is to be congratulated for his efforts and accomplishment.

If you have not yet ordered your copy, do it today. You won't be sorry.

http://www.robgourlay.com/books.htm

2. Done....;)

3. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    as I posted in the other thread, I agree this book is fantastic...I've been spending much of the day getting through "Mr PC". having this book will help elevate my playing considerably. I agree Rob should be very proud of this endeavor

Chambers remains my favorite of all the great bassists. His tone and embellishments were always fantastic

one thing I like about the book is that is lists some select PC discography to check out. as Rob aptly puts it, its important to listen to the recordings Chambers made in order to fully learn the music

also Jim: thank YOU for encouraging Rob to do this project. he is fortunate to have such a great teacher

4. Hello All,
    I just wanted to take some time to talk about the Paul Chambers Walking Book. I have had it a couple of weeks now and I must say I enjoy it very much. My Teacher has incorporated it into our lessons. Playing Pauls lines and then writing my own in the same style is a challenge. I really like the list of Songs as they are all pretty much Standards. My Walking lines needed much work as far as creativity and this book has helped me look beyond 1 3 5 7 and see a bigger picture. I do recommend getting the recordings that the songs were transcribed from..good stuff.. Right now I`m working on Chet Baker`s "How High is the Moon". Rob also did a good job of mixing up a slow and fast tunes. I am looking forward to his other books he is working on. Thanks..

Dave

5. bassworks

bassworks

Apr 18, 2002
    NH
    Thanks for all the kind words about the book!
    Pc's lines are incredible.
    Thanks to Jim Stinnett for including the book at his Bass Workout and at Berklee.
    The book is also now available through Jamey Aebersold's Catalog.
    In Boston: Berklee college of Music bookstore or
    On line:
    www.robgourlay.com
    Thanks again for all the interest,orders and support!

6. Another satisfied customer here- great content, cleanly presented. My only suggestion to Rob was to add a metronome marking to each piece, helpful if you don't have the recording at hand.
    Great book, great lines, well worth the minimal investment.

7. bassworks

bassworks

Apr 18, 2002
    NH
    Eric, Thanks for the suggestion.
    Here are the tempos of the "Walking in the footsteps of.. Paul Chambers" recordings:

Autumn Leaves:132
    There is no Greater Love: 144
    What is this thing called love? : 220
    My Blues House: 120
    Just Friends : 220
    Stolen Moments: 110
    Red Pepper Blues: 166
    Yesterdays: 126
    On Green Dolphin Street: 208
    Syeeda's Song Flute: 216
    Days of wine & roses : 244
    Softly as in a morning sunrise: 126
    Giant Steps: 300
    The Theme: 210
    All the things you are : 186
    A foggy day: 220
    Summertime: 56
    Bye bye blackbird : 132
    Oleo : 260
    Stella by Starlight(Bb): 88
    Stella by Starlight (F): 172
    Mr PC : 260
    How high the moon: 118
    There will never be another you: 216

The lines can be practiced at all tempos. By working with them slowly and in Time,you can work the lines up to those faster tempos and play along with PC on even the fastest of tempos.
    Have Fun!

more info:
    http://www.robgourlay.com/books.htm

8. Thanks for taking the time to post tempos, Rob.
    Geez, great book, great after-sale service, what more could we ask?
    Planning any more "Walking in the Footsteps..." projects?

9. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You should also check out Jim Stinnet's book of PC solo transcriptions.
    Very cool.

10. bassworks

bassworks

Apr 18, 2002
    NH
    Eric-
    I've just completed the second book in the series:
    " Walking in the Footsteps of... Sam Jones"
    The book is available for Pre order and will be shipping in early May. For more info : www.robgourlay.com
    Thanks for your interest and support!

11. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I have been using this book with my students for a little while now and everyone LOVES Sam's music.

Thanks Rob

12. Rob, the Wilbur Ware book is next, right?

13. bassworks

bassworks

Apr 18, 2002
    NH
    I love Wilbur's Playing. Thanks for the good suggestion. I'll keep it in mind.

In the meantime:
    "Walking in the footsteps of... Sam Jones."
    is officially here and available for immediate shipment.
    www.robgourlay.com
    Thanks for all the interest and orders!

14. bassworks

bassworks

Apr 18, 2002
    NH
    Here's what Rufus Reid had to say about the Sam Jones book:

"Rob Gourlay has transcribed significant bass lines recorded by the great bassist, Sam Jones. *This book suggests to the aspiring bassist that “less is more.” *Sam Jones’ sound was infectious and swung like crazy while being the pinnacle solid rock bass player. *Internalizing these lines, the inflections, the feeling, and the clarity will certainly make any bassist a more desirable section mate while keeping the name and sound of Sam Jones out there! "**- Rufus Reid

Thanks Rufus!

Sam Jones & PC Books Available at:
    www.robgourlay.com
    & www.jazzbooks.com

15. bassworks

bassworks

Apr 18, 2002
    NH
    FYI:
    Walking in the footsteps of ... Doug Watkins is available.

The 3rd book in the footsteps series.

Available:

www.robgourlay.com

www.jazzbooks.com

Thanks for all the orders!

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow, this stuff sounds great. The PC book sounds like something I'll be asking for for my upcoming birthday :). What other players are you looking at now? I'd love to see Ron Carter, Ray Brown, and/or John Clayton.