Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Incredible Peavey Service!! Cirrus Pics included

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Morgan, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    For those who have questioned buying/playing Peavey products, I thought I would pass along my recent experience with Peavey.
    I've owned a lot of "top end" basses over the years but for the last five years or so, I've been playing Peavey Cirrus 6ers, fretted and fretless.
    A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a very fine 1/2 inch long split developing in the neck of my fretless on the back side between the nut and first fret. I called Peavey service and they put me right through to their guitar service center. I explained what the situation was and they told be that they had seen a couple instruments do this before. They told me to send it back to them and they would build me a BRAND NEW ONE and send it to me. They said they'd build me a new one even if mine was out of warranty! So, I packed it up and shipped it. Peavey regularly followed up with email and kept in touch over the last couple of weeks.
    Today the friendly little brown truck drops this off...

Check the QUILTED CLARO WALNUT ON THIS BABY!
    I was floored. The build quality is better than ever, the set up is spot on and the sound is well.. she sounds as good as she looks.
    I'm a Cirrus player for life! As long as they keep building them like this and backing them up like this, I'll keep on playin' 'em!!
    Peavey....yeah, that's right....Peavey

2. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Here's a shot of the new fretless with my fretted flamed maple Cirrus 6.
    Peavey...yeah baby...Peavey.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    All I can say is.....:bawl:

Why is it that I never get a deal like that! :D ;) Beautiful basses mjm.

4. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Holy crap:eek:

I hate you. Those are really beautiful basses.

Did I mention I hate you?:D

5. Man,how beautiful!
    I worked for a Peavey dealer for a couple of years and they were always the best for service. Gibson was horrible,along with a few other companies. But Peavey and Modulus were the best. I would love to have a Cirrus or 2. Congrats!

6. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Way to go PEAVEY!!!! Man, that's awesome. It's nice to know that some companies still put their customers first. Those are some absolutely beauuuutiful basses. Rock on!!:bassist:

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I played Spectors exclusively for over 12 years before I bought a used Cirrus 6 on a whim (well....and the price was excellent). Thought I would use it for fun and rehearsals. Within 2 months I had sold all my Spectors and the Cirrus is it. Now I'm looking for a Cirrus 4 to go with my 6.

Question: Were the woods the same on the (damaged) bass you sent them?

8. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    The "original" fretless I sent in was also a Claro walnut and it was pretty nice but NOTHING like the one they sent me back!
    Steve Smith at Peavey told me that he personally talked to the bass builder and told him to pick out the best top that he had for this bass and to put a rush on it.
    Peavey came through 100% on this one.
    Peavey...yup....Peavey.

Here's another shot of the twins!

9. I just received my Peavey Millenium 5-plus today. All I can say is :D
    I think it should cure my GAS for quite a while.
    Yay for Peavey.
    -JK

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You probably didn't ask this but:
    Any chance they would have made it with an unlined fingerboard since they were making it custom for you?
    I really want an unlined board but they don't offer it in the Cirrus line.

11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Are there any online Peavey dealers? I'm just curious.

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Go to the Peavey website. You can buy online through their site. I personally feel that you would come out better by purchasing through a dealer though.

13. Can someone post the number (or email me) for the peavey service center? The preamp in my cirrus is dead, it cuts out and distorts very badly. I am very sad:bawl: I haven't been able to use it yet.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Contact Info

:( You're probably on top of the issue but have you changed the batteries?

15. Yeah I did that twice, it's in the volume pot. It will just cut out while you are playing it then you tap it and it comes back distorted.

16. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    In response to your question about the fingerboard, Peavey will do it (or so I've been told by a dealer) but it will cost and you'll have a wait.
    I didn't think to ask on this one. I was just happy to have such great service.

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Like I said, I figured that you were on top of things. Could it possibly be a dirty pot? Just asking. Regardless, good luck and I hope that Peavey feels to need to ship a new bass your way also! ;)

18. I have a Grind NTB that developed some cracks and i'll be sending it back to Peavey for a replacement. There servce department is very quick with email responses and so far they are doing all I could expect from any company to replace my damaged instrument.

Maybe they'll send me a Cirrus by mistake...;) :D

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This is nice to hear. A manufacturer who actually says yes, we've seen that problem before, and simply takes care of business.

Any idea how many businesses don't get it?

Congrats. What Peavey did was both nice and very smart.

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I bought my Palaedium NOS in 1997. When I bought it new from a Peavey dealer it was already 3 years out of production. The first thing I did was bring it to a really good local shop for a set-up. The tech found that the neck had a rising tongue. For those of you who don't know what a rising tongue is, the part of the neck nearest the pickups is bending forwards, towards the strings, making notes above say the 14th fret buzz like crazy with the neck is otherwise set up correctly. On the freshly setup bass he demonstrated the buzz buzz buzz of any note above 14.

I sent it off to Peavey through my local dealer with a note from my set-up guy. Peavey replaned the front half of the fingerboard and the bass has been fine since (though a rising tongue sometimes never stops - eventually I expect it to need work again but it's been fine for 6 years). Actually this weekend I was learning King Crimson's "VROOOM", which uses those notes extensively, and the bass was fine.

I hope anyone else with problems with Peavey gets this kind of service. Their basses are built so solidly that usually you don't need any help. My Dyna-Bass 5 soldiered on for years with not a single problem ever.