1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Incredible Rosin Mess

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Paul Cherng, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Paul Cherng

Paul Cherng

Aug 20, 2007
    Davis, Ca
    So I stupidly left my cake of soft oak rosin in the ashtray of my car. Thanks to the ridiculous weather we've been having, it has since melted and hardened all over my ashtray and cupholders. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the entire ashtray/cupholder to remove the cakeful of rosin? Thanks.

2. Why would you want to clean it? I'm sure your car smells great now.

But really if I were you, I'd probably either try to melt the rosin (with a hairdryer) and sop it up somehow, or just tediously scrape it all up with a flathead screwdriver or something.

3. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    I guess it's not a great idea to freeze you bass, as I suggested in the other thread (actually, just freeze the rosin splatter). But it wouldn't hurt your ashtray. Figure out a way to do that so that the rosin will become more solid, thus making it easier to chip away.

4. sXeMike

sXeMike

Jan 22, 2007
    Scottsville, Va
    Spray a can of compressed air upside down. The liquid that shoots out will freeze almost anything and it shouldn't hurt your car. OR Park your car in the sun until it warms up inside and the rosin should peel off.

5. Good thing it was just your cupholders and not your seats. When that happened to me, I scrubbed it off with some denatured alcohol and a green pad, I've heard you can use lighter fluid too, but I don't know which smells worse.