1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

incredible tone when using headphones instead of amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex Huddleston, Sep 26, 2009.

1. hi, I just decided to hook up headphones to my crappy old peavey practice amp for the first time today. The tone is incredible compared to when playing it out of the speaker! You can't hear any of the string feedback, clacking, etc. and it just sounded overall better. Is this just because I was using some fairly nice headphones and my amp is so old and crappy, or do you always get a better sound when playing using headphones? Seriously the difference in clarity for me is like night and day.

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I experienced quite the opposite.

When using headphones, the clickity clackity would be too much for me, even with the tone rolled off.

But if you like the sound - why not, your neighbors appreciate it lol.

3. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    less of the circuit usually goes thru the headphone out. In some cases you hear how bad the cabinet and speaker really is in combos. Tis life.

4. Kevinmach

Kevinmach

Dec 7, 2008
    I think so.

I am not a sound engineer, but it seems logical- at least in some instances- that a signal that is going right to your ear... will not be interfered with by outside forces like sound waves bouncing around the room or other variances, like how close or far you are from your speaker cabinet.

It also seems to me like it's easier to "control" sound at lower volumes... which is why I am not a fan obnoxiously loud practices. I am forever telling every one to turn down a little, and the drummer to play softer so we don't all have to ratchet up the volume to keep up with him.

It may well just be that getting a good tone out of an ambient sound source like your amp just takes a little more dialing than when you have phones on.

In any case, the quality of your amp will definitely factor into this equation. Like you, the rig I play through is nothing special. But when I plug my ear buds into my little Pandora PX4, the sound is far better than anything I can get outta my rig when it's coming through the cab.

What Nashrak said is true too, however. While I like the tone better, I do tend to hear a lot more string noise and the clacking of the strings against the frets. But overall, my phones sound way better.