Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

incubus-are you in

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zoran, Jul 22, 2002.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    this is the best bass sound i have heard in the last few years. I cannot believe fender jazz bass can do that or he recorded with warwick, but i played warwick and this is not warwick sound. is it eden gear?

2. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    he plays warwicks mostly, but sometimes he uses a fender j bass (maybe a vintage one, i dunno) through eden cabinets & amps; thats what he uses live, im sure. but maybe he used another amp/cab in the studio.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Keep in mind that it's a studio recording, with lots of other gear and tweaking involved. You can't get that sound by just plugging your bass into an amp - in most cases.

4. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    He used his '65 Fender Jazz on that song. Also, he played the whole line on his E, which gave him a rounder, mellower tone.

5. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
  6. You can't always trust websites like guitar geek. They don't even mention his red Jazz. When I saw them a couple months ago he also pulled out a EUB for the last song of the set (the last song on the Morningview cd too).

jtbp

7. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    if this helps i think he uses some rack compressors too, so figure out how much stuff he could have used in the song...

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah, I saw them here in June, and they played an amazing set! Between the Warwicks, the Jazz, and the EUB, Dirk has a pretty good arsenal.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hehe... my drummer has access to two backstage passes for the upcoming incubus show in what i believe to be west palm. he's taking some girl, but it wouldn't matter anyway: if he weren't taking her, he'd be taking our guitar player. if only he had four passes...:( :D

10. According to his interview in Bass Player he uses:

1965 Fender Jazz Bass with Ernie Ball Nickel Slinkies .45 - .100. And yes for the main groove he does use the low E for a rounder sound.

To record, if you understand this:

"we miked one of my Eden rig's 410XLT cabinets, and I also used a Washburn/Randall isolation box, which is just an enclosed 10" speaker. We mixed these lines with a DI signal from a Demeter direct box into the Neve desk - you've gotta gow with Neve for great bass tone"

So thats what the man says, long live Dirk.

sim

11. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    What is an EUB? i am a huge Dirk Lance fan, but i've never heard anything about an "EUB"..... Please explain...

12. Electric Upright Bass. :)

13. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    incubus...........................aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.............saw them january 3rd.......they did a concert for us after they shot the "nice to know you" vid..........i thought pardon me would be their last song but........ oh well...........during nice to know you...i went and took a leek.....:D ..................silly me...............ya.....he used a warwick for most of the songs and something i couldnt figure out that....now that i think about it..... probably was a jazz bass.....

14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I can get the same sounds through my ashton 5 string and my prince amp...:confused:

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Incubus in West Palm? Yeah right... I'll believe it when I see it. The closest I think they've come down here is Orlando or Ft. Myers/Naples. Freakin' joke to drive that far...