incubus-are you in

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zoran, Jul 22, 2002.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    this is the best bass sound i have heard in the last few years. I cannot believe fender jazz bass can do that or he recorded with warwick, but i played warwick and this is not warwick sound. is it eden gear?

2. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    he plays warwicks mostly, but sometimes he uses a fender j bass (maybe a vintage one, i dunno) through eden cabinets & amps; thats what he uses live, im sure. but maybe he used another amp/cab in the studio.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Keep in mind that it's a studio recording, with lots of other gear and tweaking involved. You can't get that sound by just plugging your bass into an amp - in most cases.

4. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    He used his '65 Fender Jazz on that song. Also, he played the whole line on his E, which gave him a rounder, mellower tone.

5. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
  6. You can't always trust websites like guitar geek. They don't even mention his red Jazz. When I saw them a couple months ago he also pulled out a EUB for the last song of the set (the last song on the Morningview cd too).

jtbp

7. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    if this helps i think he uses some rack compressors too, so figure out how much stuff he could have used in the song...

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah, I saw them here in June, and they played an amazing set! Between the Warwicks, the Jazz, and the EUB, Dirk has a pretty good arsenal.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hehe... my drummer has access to two backstage passes for the upcoming incubus show in what i believe to be west palm. he's taking some girl, but it wouldn't matter anyway: if he weren't taking her, he'd be taking our guitar player. if only he had four passes...:( :D

10. According to his interview in Bass Player he uses:

1965 Fender Jazz Bass with Ernie Ball Nickel Slinkies .45 - .100. And yes for the main groove he does use the low E for a rounder sound.

To record, if you understand this:

"we miked one of my Eden rig's 410XLT cabinets, and I also used a Washburn/Randall isolation box, which is just an enclosed 10" speaker. We mixed these lines with a DI signal from a Demeter direct box into the Neve desk - you've gotta gow with Neve for great bass tone"

So thats what the man says, long live Dirk.

sim

11. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    What is an EUB? i am a huge Dirk Lance fan, but i've never heard anything about an "EUB"..... Please explain...

12. Electric Upright Bass. :)

13. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    incubus...........................aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.............saw them january 3rd.......they did a concert for us after they shot the "nice to know you" vid..........i thought pardon me would be their last song but........ oh well...........during nice to know you...i went and took a leek.....:D ..................silly me...............ya.....he used a warwick for most of the songs and something i couldnt figure out that....now that i think about it..... probably was a jazz bass.....

14. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I can get the same sounds through my ashton 5 string and my prince amp...:confused:

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Incubus in West Palm? Yeah right... I'll believe it when I see it. The closest I think they've come down here is Orlando or Ft. Myers/Naples. Freakin' joke to drive that far...