incubus bass pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Mar 3, 2002.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ok for as much as i know about gear, i know very little about effects. i used them for guitar for a while and hated them, and i had yet to find a bass effect i liked, until now...maybe. I really like that new incubus song "nice to know you". I saw the tabs in the new guitar world so i was thinkin, neat i dont have to figure it out myself. BUT, it said he uses sum kind of effect to get that low bass sound. On the video hes playin pretty high up the fretboard so i think it may be a "octave effect"?? I really dont know what this is? Can anyone give me an idea how i'd get this sound? Im not like this huge incubus freak or anything, i just like the way he plays the song and think the effect might come in handy, thanks in advance.
  2. since i hate the crap that incubus is putting out lately and try to stick to the pre-make yourself material, i have not really listened to the song but i assume that is most likey his subharmonic synth. This rack effect (as far as i understand) drops all frequencies lower then a set value an octave lower and keeps the highs right where they should be. It is used a lot with DJs and dance clubs but can be useful in rock as long as you have the amp power and the speakers to handle the damaging lows. If you do a search you will find a couple posts from farely recently about this unit.
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    where does one get one of these pedal. What are they called and how much do they run?
  4. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I just bought a Peavey Kosmos. It is a sub-harmonic generator. It might not be the same one, but it works great for me. Really fattens up the bass. You MUST have a good rig to start with though or it will not improve the sound much, and will blow your speakers.
  5. Yea I figured out nice to know you in about 5 minutes, I don't believe it was to hard, and yes he does play it high on the neck, but I just played it an octave lower, with the use of a 5 string, and set the bass eq knob on my active pickups, and cut the treble eq, and it sounds pretty close to what he uses. Oviously it's not the exact same, but it sounds close enough.
  6. SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    i saw incubus live last night, they rocked (except they play too much new stuff)
    anyway, i was standing right in front of dirk and he has a "custom audio gear" multi-fx box. so most of the effects he uses would just be custom ones.
  7. i dont think so... all his effects (big muff, phase 90, etc) are racked and he uses some sort of midi switch board with all his individual loops to different buttons so he doesnt need to tap dance all over the place while playing.