Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Incubus' bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JoBo-86, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Incubus has an amzing bass player and i was wondering what u all thought of him. i think hes great but u kinda need to hear some of their earlier stuff to get a feel for him.

2. Dirk is a pretty good bassist and a lot of his lines just "fit" the song, in my opinion anyways.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I haven't heard a lot of the band, but I have heard some of Lance's stuff that shows he can construct very intelligent and tasteful lines and doesn't have to be out front continually.

He's in my personal "Real Bassists" club.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He is also one of my fav bassists, he can always find a line that fits the song..

5. king_truffle

king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    Dirk Lance in indeed an awesome bassist but I feel hes...well...gone downhill in the newer stuff, don't get me wrong, I still think hes an awesome bassist. Maybe they record it differently or some thing where its not quite as prevelent. If you want a really good example of his playing get the Incubus album "Fungus Amongus" awesome stuff there.

6. Id have to agree with king_truffle, he's amazing, but his best stuff was on the earlier albums.

7. Fungus amongus and science were two amazing albums. Yeah, dirks lines were perfectly fitting with a few outbursts of flash, good stuff. Dont like the new album much.

8. hehe, he's great. espeicially for someone who know no theory. I really like his stuff from the earlier cd's.. not so much the stuff from the new on. I love playing "Anti-gravity Love song(summer romance)" from SCIENCE.

9. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i just picked up "fungusamongus" today and now i have all four of their cd's. but for real, alex had some amazing bass lines on the earlier stuff. can you believe that while recording "fungusamongus" he was only about 16? that is crazy. something even wierder is that today while playing my momsy confused my playing for his. that's funny. anyways, they are one of my favorite bands. laterryan

10. thats true, i have fungus amongus and their new cd too, and that stuff is awesome. I think hes kinda keyed down his playing, but still very good at fitting the mood. I especially like the work on Battlestar Scralatchtica on their new one.

11. yeah. his bass in their new video looks cool too.

12. katanatm

katanatm

Sep 19, 2000
    He really gets to groove with the drummer on SCIENCE and Enjoy. But can anyone figure out what happened to all of the really cool lines all the way out in front? Where did they go?

13. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    i read something about them in rolling stone and it said that the first album sounded to much like primus and that it wasnt really them, they were just kinda trying to show off.

btw i think dirk a gnar bassist and his lines fit perfect with all the songs (atleast on "make yourself")

14. yes they said in their first album on the cd booklet thing that they were like most kids starting out, trying to fit as many notes in a measure as they could

15. warwick infinity 5-string. Great bass

16. That's kinda stupid though...I don't see how they were trying to "fit in". "Enjoy Incubus" and "SCIENCE" were sweet albums and pretty original. And this sounds kinda dumn but with "Make Yourself" they went, well, radio.

17. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    their sound is not some copied sound from some other band. it has always been their own wonderful sound. the only thing that i've heard about them sounding like another band was straight from them when they said they wanted to be like primus, rhcp, and mr. bungle all rolled into one.
    later days, ron

18. I disagree. Dirk's lines are a lot cooler now, especially "The Warmth" where the guitar is playing a melody and Dirk just plays a really cool line without showing off or just following the guitar. But Dirk does have so cool lines on all of the albums, I just think now he's learned more about how to fit the bass in the songs and make them work.

19. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

Yeah, your right. I hate it when people say a bass player is copying Flea or Les just because they pop and slap. Popping and Slapping is a style of playing bass, not someone's signature move.

shooting from the a** comes a bass player like none other, for he is FART GAS.

20. yeah, dirk is really cool and i find his playing is original and very slick. its not clumsy but he just fits right in to the song and thats what is so good about his playing, not always trying to steal the spot light.