Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Incubus "Nice To Know You" Elrick / Ken Lawrence Tone Test

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lokire, Nov 10, 2005.

1. I've quickly become a huge Incubus fan. Mainly because of Dirk Lance's awesome basslines and bass tone, but I love everything else about their sound and music too. So today I recorded two clips of a section from "Nice To Know You". One with my Ken Lawrence bass and another with my Elrick Singlecut. Both recorded direct with no effects. Just some slight EQ on each of the basses onboard pre. Pickups panned center on both.

I played a little mini solo on each, just for fun and so you can get a better idea of the all around tone of each bass. I realize that KL track has some pretty rough spots :p

But that aside, what do you think of the tone on each? Which do you prefer?

Elrick Soundclip

Ken Lawrence Soundclip

:bassist:

2. I couldn't get them from acidplanet. Maybe because I'm not a member?

Dirk used Warwick Streamers pretty exclusively I think, not sure if he used the Stage I or Stage II.

I prefer the Dirk stuff over the new record. SCIENCE, Make Yourself, and Morning View are all great IMO.

3. Yep - Streamers and Eden amps/cabs. Plus a sansamp and some other miscelaneous stuff.

You should be able to stream the songs from acidplanet. I think you can only download them if you're registered though.

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Nice tone from both!

I prefer KL's tone... More focused tone and more growl. But just a little more.

Congrats!

5. SCIENCE was ok. I LOVE the Fungus Among Us. It's like a totally different band when compared with their newer stuff.

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    the sound pretty close. i prefer the elrick's low-end but the Kl's High end. :D

7. Yeah, that's just the thing. There's aspects of both basses that I like better than the other. The neck on the KL is more comfortable for me but I love how the fingerboard on the Elrick feels. As far as the sound, I like them both for different reasons. The Elrick has that real smooth, warm low-end growl whereas the KL has a more aggresive sound. The preamps on both are awesome though. I love the coil taps on the KL and the 3-way midrange switch on the Elrick.

It's all good :)

8. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That KL is on!

Great sounds from both basses; nice playing in the clips too.

9. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    I thought the Elrick was better because it sounded smoother and seemed to cut through better in the mix (Especially the B and E strings).

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i couldn't tell the difference. :meh:

maybe my volume was too low or something.

11. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Sounds great!

I wonder which one I prefer? ;)

Have you thought about installing a series/parallel switch on your El?

I'm going to get a series/parallel/coil tap done for my 6 that has soapbars in it.

I think with your El it should be fairly easy. Either use a push/pull for series/parallel, or use a push/pull for active/passive, and use the old hole for the active/passive, for a series/parallel switch. I don't really use the active/passive that much, so I'm probably going to get it swapped into a push/pull. I think using a switch for series/parallel will be easier for me.

What did you decide about the Sansamp? I just recorded some new stuff we're working on now in the studio, and I sent my bass through my BBE Bmax, then put the Sansamp in the Effects loop. Both of them together are killer! I use the Sansamp blend, to adjust how much Sans I want in the BBE signal.

12. Putting a Series Parallel switch in would be super cool (though I still don't really understand the difference between Series/Parallel and Coil Taps :ninja: ). Is there a fairly easy way to do that, that I could do myself though? I'm not too knowledgeable with electronics designs but if I've got the materials and directions I can connect and solder stuff together. I was thinking of just turning the Active/passive switch into a kill switch since I don't use the Passive on this bass.

As far as the Sansamp, I'd still love to get one and it's pretty high up on my list right now, but I just bought an Epifani cab that pretty much cleaned out my wallet :p Once I get my Tax returns though... :D