Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Independent sadle bridges are IN

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Sep 14, 2002.

1. I visited some music shops yesterday with a friend looking for a certain kind of bass drum head for him and saw lots of new basses with independent sadle bridges (like the monorails). I had never seen those basses but there is new Peavey model and a really cool looking new rbx model by Yamaha which gave me the impresion of being one oh those plastic composite made basses.. Both had monorails. SO I was thinking that maybe in the future, all big bass companies -like Ibanez , Peavey and Yamaha, and others - will put these kind of bridges in most if not all of their basses as they are more convenient for the manufacters as well as for the users, and they will become more common than the more traditional bridges.. IMO.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He's not talking about 2Teks, is he? I thought they went out of business.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think he's referring to bridges like these:

Bunker Guitars - Bridges

Being a Steinberger fan, I like the concept.

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I believe he is talking about ABM and few other companies. Basically, you get a separate, fully adjustable bridge for each string. This is what I am getting on my DP Custom.

I thought that there may be some merit in the idea that vibrations will not transfer so easily from string to string, thus providing better clarity.

I will let you know how it works out when my DP arrives.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have ABM individual bridges on my fretless, and they work great.
    They really reduce string crossing, and changing strings is so easy with the top loading feature.
    [​IMG]

6. Yep, and like these on the Ibanez BTB's...

[​IMG]

:cool:

7. I regard these bridges as pure and simple marketing hype, you know..."gee, our bass sales are down, what gimmick can we throw on them to make people go out and buy one?"
    I run the bass dept in a store, and as such have several BTBs and SRXs on the floor to try out. I cant hear any difference between them and the Soundgear bridges.
    What is this "string crossing?" or "crosstalk?" Sounds like bollocks to me! If these bridges are the best thing since sliced bread, how come MTD, Modulus, Sadowsky, Lull, Lakland, Spector, Musicman, G&L, et al, are'nt using them? Hmmmm....

8. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i see what you mean. But dont agree entirely.
    String crossing to me, is when you pluck one string, and this vibration makes the other strings vibrate too. Enough to be picked up by the pickups (because they are all attatched to the same lump of metal). The usual answer to this is to mute the other strings with the palm or picking hand thumb.
    This bridge design seperates the strings...there is no metal contact between them. Reducing this quite a bit. I have noticed a difference between the ABM and normal design bridges, but i dont think it dignifies speniding too much more money for them. I might look into some....then again i might not. Indifferent really :)

ps, ive seen a few MTD's with these bridges on them. I dont know if they were stock tho...

9. I, too, understand what you are saying and don't agree entirely with it because I'm not privy to any of the steps in design, manufacturing or marketing of these pieces. Likewise, you aren't qualified to make such an unequivocable statement except as opinion since you don't have any hard empirical data to contradict the crosstalk claim.

And let's not get into the argument that it can't be good since some of the biggies don't use them yet. Hell, Fender was making Fender basses for 20-30 years before MusicMan, G&L, Sadowsky, and Lull began making Fender basses. ;)

10. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    pure class ;)

11. I've got a Trace Elliot T-bass with this bridge system and I thought it was just marketing bull until I used it in the studio. I could definately hear a difference, but, I can't say as I got too excited about it, I'd rather just spend some time tidying up on my 'studio technique'. As for live playing, I doubt if anyone could hear the difference anyways.
    The downside is that there are three extra crevices for horrible gunge to gather in:D

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    From a physics standpoint, there is some potential for decreased excitation of one string by another. This is because the vibration must go from the string, through the metal bridge, through the wooden body, and up through the second metal bridge, before it can cause the 2nd string to vibrate. This is as opposed to the normal situation, in which all contact is metal-to-metal. Wood has greater damping than metal.

Since I know of no scientific testing, it is a matter of opinion and testimonial whether this makes a significant difference.

It does seem to be a marketing trend, with these bridges appearing on "affordable" basses, such as the aforementioned Ibanezes, Peaveys, and also on some Asian (Diamond Series) Schecters.

13. Well of course it is my opinion, there is no scientific data. I base my comments on the fact that, aside from having owned many basses, and gigged with them 2 or 3 times a week for the last 15 years or more, thus having a reasonable "ear", I have approximately 50 basses at my fingertips at my day job, of which 6 have got monorail bridges. After reading the above replies, I sat down and A/B'd them against many conventional bridge basses. Just what I thought....no difference! Now this may not be a "scientific" test, but it's as close as anyone's gonna get.
    While all this might seem a tad anal to some, it annoys the heck out of me when manufacturers make claims on features that are just gimmicks.
    I know I am going to get flamed on my next statement, but what the heck....
    I consider the following to be marketing hype and BS.
    Monorail bridges
    All bridges heavier than Fender or MM style
    35" scale length
    Graphite strips in the neck
    Active/passive switches
    Graphite nuts
    Throughneck construction
    Ebony fingerboards (except on fretless)
    Brass nuts
    Etc, etc.

What bass is generally regarded as THE BEST by the majority of TBer's?

Sadowsky! (check the threads if ya dont believe me)

Which of the above features does Sadowsky use in the construction of his basses?

Not many.

BTW, I have a Cirrus 6 string with Redwood top on order. This bass contains several of those features mentioned above. Does this make me a hypocrite? Maybe, I'm as suseptible to marketing hype as anyone!!

14. Never mind the science some of the above features just look cooool :D and IMO geetars are meant to look cool, otherwise we'd all be playing some sort of hi tech material stick bass type thing.;)