inderpendance issues

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by METALHEAD, Nov 14, 2005.

1. are there any excersizes you can do to help your fingers move more inderpendently, i have the prob that my middle finger and third finger move almost as 1. i need something to do to make it A)more independent and B)more comfortable

Any Ideas?
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You'e talking about your fretting hand, right?

Stewmc255 has some excellent exercises on his webpage.
  3. no sorry didnt make myself clear there. im ok with my fretting hand its the plucking hand, say i try and do a maiden three finger bassline it just sucks, cos my middle and ring finger are moving too close to each other
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Hahaha, inderpendant. :D

But, one of the best things you can do is just drum on a table with your first, second, and third finger. 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3. That should help your second and third finger move in a more.... inderpendant... fashion
  5. cool ill give that a go, that will annoy everyone i work with for sure.

mocking my spelling, mean, its not my fault im lisdyexic :crying:
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was an interesting documentary on BBC TV recently, saying that Dyslexia didn't actually exist - it was just "invented" to comfort Parents, so they wouldn't feel they had failed in bringing up a "slow learner" ....:meh:
  7. NoisemakerD-Lux

Oct 12, 2004
    Yeah, the table thing works. Take it slow. Give yourself a week of that to get comfortable. Don't try going as fast as you can, either. Vary the speeds from slow to medium to fast. Both ways (back and forth). May as well do all 4 fingers on both hands - it will come in handy.
  8. oh dont get me wrong, im intelagent but i just cant spell very well. everything else im good at .

yep everyone in my office hates me
  9. Bruce Lindfield

I believe that last part!! ;)
  10. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I always tap my fingers on a table at school, everyone hates me now...
  11. Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    Typing helps a lot with dexterity and independence. So, download a messenger and start chatting up to horny molester. :D
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Exists and exists. It depends on how you define "existence". There are people who have a hard time learning to read and write, moreso than others. No real reason to doubt that. The question WHY is interesting though, and unfortunately (IMO) we are all too quick to resort to labeling this unwanted behaviour as some sort of deficiency, and back it up with the power of science. This could have some deep consequences which perhaps not everyone realises.

I think it's far more damaging to tell someone they have a medical condition, proven by science - for which there is no real cure - as opposed to just calling them "slow learners". Saying someone is a "slow learner" just displays an opinion, not a claimed "fact", and it's also more positive in the sense that the person no doubt CAN learn, it just takes more time. Bringing up dyslexia might cause mental blocks; it happens that people are led to believe that their supposed deficiency prevents them from learning AT ALL. I think that is highly unfortunate.

But it's no secret that people like labels. People like to give names to things they don't understand, to present an illusion of understanding. That's why we give people labels such as dyslexic and bearer of ADHD, even though it's worth asking the question if they're actually a diagnosable and provable defiencies of the human brain. And even if they are, why do we feel the need to use them? Is it to blame the individual for what society can't achieve? And what consequences does this cause for society, and the ones who are forced to wear these labels?

During a period of our lives, most all of us have a desire to be "normal". Some get doctors telling them they aren't because they need more time to become decent readers. Isn't that great?

Way OT. Oh well.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

This could apply to anything or any question you cared to ask .....;)