1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Indestructable Skjold!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ok, now that I have your attention, no, this isn't another "fell of a 20 foot stage onto concrete and was still in tune" stories...

This is about tone. I was checking out another bass last night... one I normally really like the tone on, but through the "house rig" in the rehearsal room. It was truly ICKY! Totally destroyed the tone on that bass, and it seemed no matter what I did with the EQ, it just wouldn't "get there".

HOWEVER... and here's the interesting part, I then plugged my Skjold Custom in, and WOAH... it still sounded good even after being pretty well hammered by a crappy rig!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... there's just "something" about the presence these basses have that is incredible. I keep running into situations where I discover yet another "ability" they have.

Watch out for this Pete guy, he's comin' on strong...

2. Ha! I thought you dropped it and it bounced with no damage!:D

Cool on the tone though... I know what you mean... a great bass sounds good through darn near anything!

3. Has there been any update on his Lion's Pride (IIRC) line?

I would love to see how those are turning out. I really dig Pete's aesthetic and craft, but ATM something a little more conventional seems practical for me.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Big fan of his stuff. Id love to have a Pro series 4 string with ash body, maple fingerboard, one C4 pickup. Would be fun. Seems like the best way to go price wise for that combination, since theres no need getting a custom model for basic options. A Stage would even work.

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    It really does work well Figgy.
    DSCN0693.

6. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    I hear ya Marcus. I'm signed up for a Lion's Pride as well. I think this will bridge the "Skjold Tone" advantage with the "conventional aesthetic" issue.

Vic, ANOTHER success story from you. Have you EVER been in a situation where the Skjold did less than what you would have liked? Ever?

7. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    So far, in my limited live experience with my bass, NO - there is no situation that this bass can't handle.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes, yours is very nice indeed. :) I dont know the story behind that one. I forget if it was built for you or if you got it used?

Now that I think about it, if i were to get one, I wouldnt go with the ash/maple thing because my music mans do that, id use different woods, to get a smoother tone.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Never. However, on the flip side of that coin, as much as I probably shouldn't be, I do keep experiencing new pleasant surprises. :)

10. Vic, I'm starting to question your ability to be non-biased. :D

That's okay, after seeing your basses, I can just imagine what they must sound like live.

You certainly aren't making it any easier to convince myself that I don't need another bass right now. :)

11. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    +1 He is the Skjold member # 1 too :p

12. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    Marcus,
    I spoke to Pete last week, I have a LP on order and that batch is to begin in January

Skjold Club Member #8

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    On the one hand, it is hard, but on the other hand, to be totally honest, I bet most reviewers would end up with similar results... dude, they really are that good.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine

That makes two of us. :cool:

And Vic, I am in complete agreement with you (and have been saying basically this same thing for some time now! :D). As y'all know, I have plenty of basses to choose for gig duty, and I do try to play out with darned near all of them, but since I picked up my first Custom 5, I don't think that I have done a gig without at least one Skjold - nor would I want to!

Pete is making some magical instruments, for sure. And once the Lion's Pride basses come out, even those "I don't like the non-traditional look" folks can join the party! :hyper:

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was making a pot of chili once, and I found that my Skjold wouldn't fit in the kettle, so I had to stir it with a wooden spoon. But other than that, no, I have never found a situation where my Skjolds did not excel (at what I was after, at least). :cool:

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh man, Starbucks really hurts coming out the nose... :D

17. Nice note Vic.. I agree with what you said about Pete's basses. It just sounds good, and has so many useable tonal options.

Oh. and me too.. I've got a Lions Pride in the works this batch.