Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

index finger get crooked from bowing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by kawaeegirl, Aug 5, 2005.

1. I play with french bow and i've noticed that my index finger is extremely crooked now~ does anyone else notice this? im afraid im going to get arthritis in my hands when im old from playing bass...

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    A significant amount of people have curved index fingers naturally. I highly doubt it has anything to do with playing bass. It has probably always been curved, but you are just now noticing it.

3. I don't know about the arthritis thing...a lot of that is genetic, I think.

But one thing you might think about is how firmly you are holding the bow. If you're holding it so tight that it is causing your finger to bend, I suggest backing off a little bit. You can talk to your teacher about it, but I try to think about holding the bow in such a way that it could be snatched out of my hand easily anytime I'm playing. Rather than forcing the bow into the string via the index finger, think about using the weight of your arm to accomplish the same thing.