Indian Cricket Team

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petebass, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd just like to issue a very loud and public thank you to the Indian Cricket team for making the 2003-4 season one of the most enjoyble in recent memory.

This is the first time I can remember a team going home in better shape than when they arrived. They started the tour quite badly and were obviously lacking confidence in the warm-up games. But somewhere along the line, they found themselves believing they can win.

The test series was tied but sheesh there ware some great games in there. Both teams had depleted bowling line-ups and the India's batsmen really made the most of it, in particular Dravid, Laxman, Tendulkar, and Ganguly. India get to keep the trophy because they are the current holders, so I guess it's a victory for them.

Australia won the One-Day series. Unfortunately India faltered in the finals but that was the only blemish of the summer. The qualifying games were sensational. The average score per innings was something like 280 runs off 300 balls (50 overs). That's an amazing scoring rate and it was great to watch.

India has a reputation of only playing at home against lowly teams on small fields to bolster their batsman's averages. Hopefully that's in the past now. They've shown they can compete with the best. The good part for India is that the team features some young players who showed great promise and improvement. The future is looking bright for Indian cricket. Watch out Pakistan - if India bring their form back to the sub-continent, they're going to give the Pakistani's a rude shock!
  2. Couldn't agree more, Pete. For once there was truly an interesting test and one-day series out here. Great to see that world cricket is becoming more competitive again! As much as I love to see Australia (and New Zealand, as I am half Kiwi) doing well, I'd much rather see the longevity and growth of cricket than the continual domination by Australia.

3. Definitely was two great series between Aus and India. I reckon Australia are still the best one day team in the world by miles, but tests seem to getting a bit closer, which is good to see. India have the best batting line up in world cricket bar none imo, and so the Pakistan series may be a bit one sided :meh:
  4. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Here, here! Excellent series.
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Agreed that the series was excellent - shame about the finals of the one day series though - kinda left the whole taste a little bit less sweet than it could have been.

What are peoples thoughts on the return of Warnie?
  6. Well, I think I've already had an argument with Bruce (but then, who hasn't!) regarding his banning in the first place. Anyways, I think that Shane does need to prove that he's still got it before they just throw him back in to the Test/One-day squad. I still think that he is a far better leggie than MacGill and, once he is back into form, should claim his spot.

I am a major fan of Shane's but I think Warnie needs a chance to build his confidence in the domestic comp. I don't think it would do Shane or Australia any good to put him back in like some have suggested. Instead of thinking of this particular series, I believe that it is better if he gets a chance to play as much cricket as he can, build up his confidence and then be selected for the Australian squad. I'd hate to see Warnie work hard after all the problems he's had (even if most were his fault) to quit after being prematurely put back into the Australian team.

Oh, and I agree, Mark - the finals were a bit disappointing. Especially seeings that I would have been at the 3rd final had it been required! :) However, I think that the Aussies really showed their talent and put it all together really well.