1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Indian Members Club

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eclipse96, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Eclipse96

Eclipse96

May 26, 2017
    Northfield, MN
    So I ran a search and there doesn't seem to be a thread for this already. Any Indian bass players here?

If you're from elsewhere in South Asia (Pakistan/Nepal/Sri Lanka) you also count!

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    No..but I love Indian food and people

3. There are a few from India who pop in occasionally to ask about gear in the Amps forum.

Probably a few in the bass section at TalkSitar.com you could round up and direct here.

4. Eclipse96

Eclipse96

May 26, 2017
    Northfield, MN
    Huh, there's a TalkSitar? Who'da thunk it...

5. champbassist likes this.
  6. Not that I know of, just the Indian bassists of the world must be hanging out somewhere and somewhere more local is where I would look with my dry humour.

47th Street likes this.
  7. Eclipse96

Eclipse96

May 26, 2017
    Northfield, MN
    In that case, wouldn't you be better off at TalkMarmite? ;)

I am beginning to feel that I might be a member of an endangered species...

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yeah, Indians are reducing in serious numbers. It should be a global crisis.

;) :D

9. Eclipse96

Eclipse96

May 26, 2017
    Northfield, MN
    LOL

Trust me, we're doing fine on the number of Indians, way too fine in fact...

Indian bassists on the other hand? Not so much.

47th Street and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I get that, I can only think of one big name in bass that hails from India and, really, she is more of a prodigy/rising star than a bonafide bass hero. If you know of more, please share them. I can only think of two Indian TBers and one was mentioned above.

In terms of traditional Indian music, does the bass have a big role? I live down the street from some Pakistani's and they bust out some drums and some kind of woodwind/flute things once a year but never any low end. Even the one bassist I linked plays fusion/jazz from a more western standpoint from what I can gather. I am, admittedly, not the biggest fan though so I don't know much beyond the shared video clips which are coming from a western audience.

MARKBASS | Mohini Dey

Eclipse96 likes this.
  11. The pop music you hear in Bollywood films seems to have big tomtom like boing baba boing ba boing ba boing boing going right through it. Who would want to play bass in the midst of that?

12. Eclipse96

Eclipse96

May 26, 2017
    Northfield, MN
    The only one I can think of off the top of my head is this super creative guy who goes by the name Shri. He's a classically trained tabla player who switched to playing a fretless of his own design and he often plays a lot of really complicated tabla patterns on the bass which sounds really cool. It's hard to find good videos of him online, but I watched him live this past December and he was awesome. Here's one of the few decent videos I could find online (tabla bit starts at 4:41) -

In general, I think bass has a very small role in Indian culture in general. Bass plays no role at all in Indian classical music. That's because the bass is designed to function primarily as a harmonic instrument, but the concept of harmony doesn't really exist in Indian classical, because it's polyphonic as opposed to western music which is homophonic. It doesn't show up a lot in Bollywood music either. My hypothesis for why is that in the old days the speakers they had in cinema halls would have been really weak and incapable of playing the bass at good volumes, so composers just didn't bother with it. So yeah, not a lot of bass in India, but times are changing... India actually has a great indie music scene, lots of really cool rock and metal groups, but they're still very underground and not known to the general public.

Thanks for the Mohini Dey recommend, was not aware of her previously!

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  13. No, that's an English thing.
    Vegemite is what they use down under:

Vegemiteontoast_large.

RedVee, 47th Street and Fat Freddy like this.
  14. Once it becomes mainstream it isn't indie anymore, as much as the artists try to hang onto the Indie tag for as long as possible. Punk is dead, long live punk.

15. Prakash John is a Canadain born in Bombay who did work with James Brown, George Clinton, Alice Cooper, and Lou Reed.

Great player and teacher.

47th Street and GregC like this.
  16. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

What?! There's got to be some mad desi bass players hailing from the Indian Subcontinent!

17. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Too bad Mohini Dey doesn't pop around here. She's fantastically talented.

champbassist likes this.
  18. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I'm Indian. But not really a club joiner.

As mentioned, Indian music doesn't traditionally have bass or harmony. The timbres used tend to be somewhat thin and reedy, and very harmonically rich, which is almost the opposite of most bass sounds.

I don't know of many Indian bassists, but I've seen Hussain Jiffry playing locally (he is Sri Lankan and has played with a LOT of people including Herb Alpert and Sergio Mendes). I actually saw him playing at a middle school benefit a couple of miles from my house.

I've played some Bollywood style pop music, and a lot of it these days has very traditional Western instrumentation, including bass guitar. The Bollywood stuff is a weird hybrid. It has chords, and the chord changes follow the basic sounds of the circle of 5ths and all that, but it's different, and not totally grounded in Western theory. The idea of form - intro/Verse/chorus/etc is different - it's more about overall flow and less about repeating a hook. This makes it frustratingly hard to memorize for me.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  19. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

I've wanted a tanpura for years.

--^@

20. Right here! Been awfully busy of late :(

I live and work in the Delhi NCR area. Where are you from, OP? :D

There are a bunch of other Indians Talkbassers that I know of. I'm not sure how active they are around here anymore - I can recall having interacted with thehangingmist, sohamorrohit and kaushik23kumar around here.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Eclipse96 and 5StringBlues like this.