Indian Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dirk, Dec 9, 2003.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    What provides the bass in Indian music. I want to say it's the Tabla, but I can't remember for sure. Also, if anyone knows how much these cost or where I can find one, that info would be appreciated.

2. dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    The sur bahar is basically a fretless bass sitar. As to where to find one to purchase, I am of no help to you.
  3. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    well if i remember correctly the "bass" in indian music comes from what's called a drone instrument. and thats what it does, it's a, i think, a string instrument and you just repeadetly pluck the strings to produce the pitch. i've only seen them whenever i go to india to visit family.

i saw ravi shankar in concert about a year ago, he had two guys playing the droning instruments. from what i saw, you don't play it like a bass/guitar. if sits verticaly in your lap and you just pluck the string over and over, know left hand fingering required! :D

and you are right about tabla, there are two drums. and the left hand is the deeper pitched drum, kind of like a bass drum.

4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My best friend is indian..ill ask him.
  5. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ravi Shankar has some good stuff. indian music is nice when I'm the mood for it.
  7. Tablas are the drums. If you're thinking of the bass drone, you probably want the tanpura.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tablas are awesome.