Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Indiana People.. Say Hello!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Hey, just trying to find some others from the Indiana Area.. Copy and Paste this short "Getting to Know You" questionnaire

Where in Indiana:
    Bands You Play In:
    Main Gigging Bass:
    Main Gigging Amp:
    How long have you been playing:
    Other interesting facts about you:

Here is my short rundown:

Where in Indiana: Central Ind. about 30 mins north of Indianapolis
    Bands You Play In: Uptown Jazz Quartet and Indianapolis Jazz Orchestra
    Main Gigging Bass: Modulus Quantum 6 and a double bass (no name)
    Main Gigging Amp: Eden Silver Series 2x8 for Jazz. PreGibson Trace Elliot (2) 2x10 & (2) 1x15 powered by (2) GK 700RBs for Rock
    How long have you been playing: Aprox. 14 years
    Other interesting facts about you: I'm Greek if you couldnt tell by the name. I'm big into sports cars. In my spare time I enjoy flying RC Airplanes for a hobby.

2. Where in Indiana: Just north of Indianapolis, right by ElephantTalk. (Fishers)
    Bands You Play In: Buttfish (We don't play many gigs, and they're usually at small venues, since we're all young and the bands just getting off it's feet.)
    Main Gigging Bass:I switch off between three basses pretty often, but my Cort Artisan B4fl is what I use mostly. My Peavey T-40 and MIM P show up a lot when I need a fretted bass.
    Main Gigging Amp:Trace Elliot GP11 1x'15" combo from the 80's.
    How long have you been playing:About a year and a half.
    Other interesting facts about you:I go to HSE, and I'm a sophmore in highschool. I'm beginning to dabble in luthiery.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Do former Indiana natives count? If so...

Where in Indiana: Indianapolis (southside!) moved to Tucson in Dec.'97. I visit every summer and miss living there. :crying:
    Bands I Played In: Tyrant Dread (left band in '95) original thrash metal
    Main Gigging Bass: '90 BC Rich Innovator 4
    Main Gigging Amp: Trace Elliot QuatraValve
    How long have you been playing: 15+ years
    Other interesting facts about you: I fly U/L aircraft and I'm a huge Indy Colts fan!

4. Seems like Indiana is full of Trace lovers...

Excellent! :D

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Where in Indiana:About 20 minutes south(Greenwood)
    Bands You Play In: None at this moment
    Main Gigging Bass: Sadowsky Metro MV4
    Main Gigging Amp: Aggie AG500, GS212 (if I were gigging)
    How long have you been playing: 4 years
    Other interesting facts about you: Pretty un-interesting really. I'm Italian. Been living here for about 12 years, originally from the Detroit area.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Where in Indiana: Ft. Wayne. Yeah, I know.
    Bands You Play In:3 Broke Guys-garage-type band with not so much a plan to play as invading the core of society and making it play Scabble.
    The Krill-Banks Conspiracy- 2 old guys griping about their own inertia.
    Main Gigging Bass:Conklin GT-5, followed by a G&L Tribute L-2500
    How long have you been playing:Since '76, minus 13 yrs hiatus.
    Other interesting facts about you: Fat, ugly, yet somehow arrogant and aloof. Owned by a woman named Mary and a cat named Memphis... go figure.

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Where in Indiana: Bout 10 minutes from the circle, if your from indy youll know what the circle is
    Bands You Play In: Doing an unnamed band at the moment, just starting
    Main Gigging Bass: Pearl blue 4 string stingray and a 4 string thumb
    Main Gigging Amp: ampeg b4r into 2 ampeg 6x10s
    How long have you been playing: bout 12 years
    Other interesting facts about you: I work at the sam ash in indy so if any more of the naptowners wanna stop in and say whats up id love to see some talkbassers in the store.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Where in Indiana: Lafayette-have played in Indy, Greenwood, Carmel, Ft.Wayne etc.

Bands You Play In: Laf. Jeff Music Department 2002-2005, i was the student bass player for everything-showchoir to marching band and jazz band, been there, played that. Purdue Summer Jazz Band 2005, Christ United Methodist Church Band-my last Sunday is today-i actually replaced my uncle who moved to Tennessee, 2005 Tecumseh Middle School Pow Wow [got called to sub for one of my teachers]

Main Gigging Bass: Electric-2003 Ray5
    Upright-My New Standard Cleveland

Main Gigging Amp: Avatar B212, Sansamp RBI & RPM in a Rack w/Carvin Power Amp-now SWR WM12.

How long have you been playing:8 years

Other interesting facts about you: I move Friday to Chicago for College-Roosevelt University/Chicago College of Performing Arts-Jazz Bass Major. I've had a probation officer recognize me at school for playing bass at our Basketball Games. [no-i don't have one, it turns out she also plays bass]

Hey Rayzak-my Dad lives in Greenwood-i think Southside, my stepbrother goes to Center Grove.

9. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Cool!! My kids swim at Center Grove High. I'm almost directly behind Guitar Works. They've got some nice stuff but waaay overpriced.

10. Wow awesome.. We've got several Indy people. We aught to get a caravan together and head up to LDS in Detroit if they do their bass festival again..

11. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yea sticker shock can kill ya! Actually, the guys there will give you a lot better price than the tag says. They are really a great bunch of guys.

12. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I take lessons at the Guitar Works in question. Gary Checkeye is my instructor.

13. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    No way!!! I took lessons from Gary when I first was gettin' started. Worst decision i've made since then was that I quit going. I've been meaning to go back to him.
    Gary's a great bass player and an even nicer guy.

14. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I'm absolutely jealous of that Parker Fly that he has. I never liked 'em 'til I heard the tone. That thing has got some balls! I've only had a few teachers, but Gary is, by far, the coolest guy I've had the pleasure of studying with.

15. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    Where in Indiana: aurora...by the boats.
    Bands You Play In: subvinyl, some subbing. formerly of the mike hallal band.
    Main Gigging Bass: ibby asb 140, conk gt-7.
    Main Gigging Amp: g-k backline 110, acoustic 370/trace elliot 1048.
    How long have you been playing: since the late seventies, with a few years off.
    Other interesting facts about you: i make a mean cheesecake.

16. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Do you guys remeber the Dean 6 string in red w/gold hardware and the wrist cut on it? Almost bought it-i think it was there for a few years.

That's scary thinking that your kids, Rayzak, might know my step brother.

Selection wise-i like Guitar Works seems like they're the only store in town that carries something besides Fender/Ibanez. I haven't been to Indy in about a year. If i buy local, i go to Guitars and More on County Line-those guys have been extremely nice to me even though at the time and well-still now, i'm a long haired littled kid [so i'm 19 now-i got my Ray5 when i was i think 16 or 17].

There's no chance for me getting in on any LDS road trips-once Friday hits, i'm out of Indiana until Thanksgiving time.

17. I don't think I've ever been to Guitar Works, where is it?

18. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Guitar Works
    (317) 885-1510
    (800) 233-9907
    (317) 865-7039 (Fax)
    996 S State Road 135 # J
    Greenwood, IN 46143
    [​IMG]

Guitars & More was one of my favorites but the last time I was in there (July '05) I didn't recognize a single person who was working there. They also didn't appear to care that I was even in the store and to answer a couple of was too much work for them. :rollno: Eh, maybe I'll give them another chance when I go back next summer.

19. I bought my Modulus Q6 at the Guitars & More in Castleton when they still carried Modulus.. The owner, I believe Dean is his name, actuallg goes to the same church as me.

20. Where in Indiana: Michigan City
    Bands You Play In: None at the moment.
    Main Gigging Bass:Fender Deluxe Jazz V string
    Main Gigging Amp: Peavy microbass.....................
    How long have you been playing:2-3 years
    Other interesting facts about you: Your mother.