Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Indie Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by WesW, Feb 24, 2005.

1. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Does anyone play Indie Music (Independant)?

We just got started over on IndieHeaven. Seems like a pretty good community - I just hope that we're not playing to each other so much - I really hope other folks find us and check out the tunes as well.

We're one of only 7 "Hard Rock" bands on the site - but they do seem to have lots of diverse artists there....

Anybody else?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Indie Christian? No such thing.

Indie as a genre is dumb anyway, because people just stick everything that isn't Rap, Rock, Country, or Blues into a groupd they call Indie.

3. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Indie is not a genre - it's short for independant - musicians, groups, bands that are not signed to a label.

So Indie Christian, just means that we are a Christian band that is not signed to a label.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You've got to be kidding. :eyebrow:

brad cook

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    What do you call Anathallo, Old American Dream, and the Colour Revolt?

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I know. However there are a lot of idiots that use Indie as a genre for things they can't put in anything else. When you asked if any of us played Indie music, it made it seem as though you meant in the context of a genre. Mainly because asking who isn't on a record label is a dumb question simply because almost all bands aren't.

Right, but when used as a genre, which I thought you were doing, Indie Christian is something I've never ever heard of.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There are Christian bands in pretty much every genre of music that exists in the non-Christian music scene...from rap to death metal. Some of them are pretty good too. Some people find that hard to believe because the Christian music scene used to be so craptastic.

brad cook

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    A lot of Christian bands have made it into the mainstream emo genre. Taking Back Sunday, Further Seems Forever and the Juliana Theory. I don't know vocal they are about their faith because I don't listen to much of them, but I read an article about the 'new wave' of christian bands.

And people who think of 'indie' as an actual sub-culture are silly.