1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Indie rock bands with funky basslines....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rollyolly, Jan 7, 2012.

1. rollyolly

rollyolly Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I'm looking for some inspiration. Indie-style rock bands with funky/groovy basslines?

Some examples that come to mind are Gang of Four, The Whitest Boy Alive, Franz Ferdinand, Crystal Skulls.

2. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I don't know if I would call them exactly funky or indie rock but The Minutemen are worth checking out for some unbelievably creative bass playing that might fit the bill.

3. guli

guli

Oct 5, 2009
    Jakobstad, Finland
    The Killers - Jenny Was Friend of Mine has an awesome bassline, don't know if it's really "funky" but man, it's groovin'.

4. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? has some great, funky bass lines. Super good stuff.

5. Mutemath

6. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
  7. subbed...

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    TV On The Radio

9. +1000! Talk about a tight rhythm section. Plus, on their latest album, the bassist played all the guitar parts as well.

10. Minutemen / anything involving Mike Watt. Also, Fugazi.

11. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    How about !!!

They owe a pretty big debt to Gang of Four actually as do many of these bands ...

Also LCD Soundsystem has some good funky/punky/grindy bass parts.

Interesting--I think that kinda funky, cool inventive bass is pretty alive and well in "indie" rock these days (I use the term "indie" lightly:) and the playing is really good on lots of stuff, but I wouldn't say the same for much of the guitar work I hear. Lotsa guys sound like they've gone only as far back as the 80's for inspiration and stopped there. Zzzzzzzzzzz...

12. +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000!!!

"Indie" Music now, is rehashed from everything that went on sometime in the 80's and 90's...

The whole "artsy-fartsy" deal gets a little bit overwhelming.

13. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    If you think this^, you're not looking hard enough. Yes, there are quite a few 80s and 90s-ish bands out right now, but that makes sense, as the current wave of nostalgia tends to go back about 20 to 30 years.

But right now there's also several indie bands who are doing something else. Animal Collective and Fleet Foxes are doing their own variations of a Beach Boys thing. The Drums, Vivian Girls, Cults, Wavves, et al, are doing updates of the 50s/60s doo-wop/garage sound. Of Montreal has added more and more disco/funk to their sound as of late. Girls (the band) went from the garage thing to a very Pink Floyd-influenced sophomore album.

Then there are bands like tUne-yArDs and Dirty Projectors, who do things that defy categorization and just move you, in a myriad of ways.

Someone once told me that the most boring thing in the world is someone who is bored. I tell that to my students who gripe about how everything sucks but don't do anything to improve their situation.

Sure, I could stop looking for new music and start complaining that today's music just isn't as good as it was when I was a kid. But where's the fun in that? I'd rather dive in and keep finding the gold in all the rubbish. Hint: That is the way it has always been! There has never been a time when all the music was good. The good always comes hidden in a big pile of filler.

14. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    That bassline was based off of the bass driven Smiths soung "Barbarism begins at home". Which has an awesome bassline, as do most Smiths songs.. He tunes up to F# usually, but I played in a Smiths tribute band, and I used regular tuning just fine.

15. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Dameira - M(US)IC

Not funky per se, but that guy lays down the chops for indie rock and the tone is to die for.