Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Individual Bridges

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by joeviau, Aug 12, 2002.

1. joeviau

joeviau

Jul 9, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I have seen some interesting basses that use individual bridges for the strings. It's fairly obvious that this can be used for custom string spacing, there probably isn't a better way to do that!

I was wondering, is there a sonic effect using individual bridges, and how are the bridges mounted on the bass? I've seen what appears to be a plate underneath, but I have also seen photos where screw inserts were put into the bass and the string bridged attached via screws to the inserts.

Also, how would one ground the individual bridges easily?

Thanks.

2. Chambers

Chambers

Apr 9, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    From what I've read, indiviual bridges theoreticaly offer more defined sound because vibrations from one string don't affect the others so much. The method of attachment to the body would definatly affect things. Inserts are probably the most stable.

As for grounding, the simplest way would be to ground one of the bridges and use a metal nut, otherwise you would have to wire a ground to each one, or jumper from one to another.
    Of course the metal nut only works for uncovered metal strings.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Grounding the individual saddles is one of the reasons I used a base plate (which I made out of morado) on the only bass I have made with these saddles. I put a grounded piece of copper foil under the base plate and the saddles were grounded by the mounting screws.

The other reason was because I needed to match the radius of a very wide fingerboard.