1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Individual fret buzz.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Armedxx, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Armedxx

Armedxx

Mar 21, 2009
    I was looking through the other topics on here because my tenth fret on the A string (and this is the only one) buzzes very loud when I play it.

I just got my bass today, and have never worked with setup on my other one. My question is, could the wear on the string above the tenth be causing the buzz?

What other factors might I be overlooking?

Any help is appreciated.

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    The bass may have a high fret beyond the 10th right in the path of the A-string.

Alternatively, the string itself could have a divit worn into it at the 10th fret...but you said you just got the bass, right? Was it used? If the strings are old, it's worth a try to replace them (or at least the A-string by itself).

A setup could probably solve the problem. Or at the very least, just raising the action on the A-string a little could solve the issue as well. If the setup didn't help, the frets probably need a little dressing.

Since you don't have much experience with setups, I would take the bass to a good luthier or repair tech so they could see what was going on with the bass.

3. Armedxx

Armedxx

Mar 21, 2009
    thanks for the response, i'm gonna have my local music store owner help me assess the problem.