1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

individual Piezo bridge pickups

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chicagobob, Mar 20, 2013.

1. chicagobob

chicagobob

Mar 20, 2013
    Braidwood, Il
    Hey all, Don't mean to be ignorant but does anyone know exactly what these are? I've heard of the name piezo but never done much research on them. They're on a Washburn signature Stu Hamm bass and the price is right I just need to know if it is worth the dough. Although I have met Stu with Jeff and Billy in Chicago a few years back, I don't want to buy something just because it is endorsed. While I am confident that anything that is endorsed by either of these fine players " SHOULD" be of quality, I gots ta be fo shoo!! lol. Sorry for the long winded post.

Bob

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    "Piezo" is a type of pickup technology that gives a completely different sound than the normal magnetic pickups you would find on an electric bass. Piezo is most commonly used for acoustic instruments like acoustic guitars and acoustic bass guitars. I assume the Washburn has a control to blend the sound of the piezos with the magnetic pickups, to give you a wider selection of possible tones. I highly recommend you find some piezo sound clips on youtube or something, to see if you like the sound... I personally find it very "quacky" on a fretted electric bass (but nice for fretless or acoustic instruments).

3. chicagobob

chicagobob

Mar 20, 2013
    Braidwood, Il
    thanks Mushroo

4. chicagobob

chicagobob

Mar 20, 2013
    Braidwood, Il
    It would be nice to hear what Stu's take on using these was? I saw Jeff B on the form, maybe he can get some input on this? Whadaya say Jeff?? zupp buddy!