Individual String Saddles

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BFunk, Jul 24, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have been seeing a lot of basses coming out with individual string saddles. What is the benefit?
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Wait, let me re-phrase that:

I don't mean individual string saddles, I mean individual bridge units for each string.
  3. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    What you are describing sounds like the "Monorail Bridge Design" that seems to be more and more in fashion with certain manufacturers these days.

Aside from looking quite cool, I believe the thinking behind this feature is to attempt to further isolate the vibration of each string at the bridge end, potentially enhancing sustain.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

So if you were going to make a custom designed bass, would you use these over a conventional bridge?
  5. Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    no... the impact on tone, sustain and string crosstalk is negligible at best.
    The dominant factor for the bridge is mass... a heavier bridge will give out less energy to the body and other strings, thus giving more sustain. As for the monorail design, the type of contruction might have more impact on it's performance... a necktrough bass would probably kill any of the desired outcome, since it's the same piece of wood from bridge to nut.
    This is all speculation, I've had a BTB with monorail bridge but this is only 1 bass...
    take care