Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Indonesia & Ebay

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blipndub, Jun 13, 2003.

1. I hear horror stories about bidders from Indonesia but is there any truth to them?

I'm auctioning a Baby Taylor on ebay and got an email from someone in Indonesia practically begging to bid on the item.

Anyone have any experience selling to this part of the world?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Unfortunately credit card frauds are common in Indonesia so they have a bad reputation on e-bay. Many e-bayers have been ripped of in transaction to Indonesia.

There is a Talkbasser who had some trouble with selling a bass to or buying a bass from Indonesia, can´t remember which it was, but the horror stories are true although it´s unfair to generalize....

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    At BC we get an average of 1-2 "orders" via e-mail from Indonesia with credit card numbers. They never haggle about price, just "send the bass as soon as possible and charge the card". We always check the card, and it is almost invariably an attempted fraud. I don't want to sound as if I am singleing any group of people out, but this is pretty much a 100% experience. Make sure you confirm credit card transfers, and confirm addresses with the card company before doing the shipping. If you sell to a fraudulent card purchaser, you will be charged back by the card company and be out both the item and the money.

4. Greg R

Greg R

Mar 11, 2003
    Avonmore, ON
    I've sold a lot of gear on ebay and the best way to deal with bidders from Indonesia is to have them use an international money order. Don't send anything over there until the funds have cleared your bank.

5. Thanks for the good advice guys