Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Industrial/EBM

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gia, May 28, 2004.

1. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i don't really expect this to get any replies, but there's no harm trying....:D
    Is anyone here into/like/ever heard/danced to any industrial or EBM bands?

At the moment I'm very into hardcore retro-EBM....eg..
    Front Line Assembly, Nitzer Ebb, Wumpscut (<33), Converter, Noisex and Funker Vogt.

I'm also digging the 'sissier' :p synthpop EBM of VNV Nation and Covenant.

Heard of Kraftwerk? They're basically the godfathers of everything industrial and electronic...a good place to start your epic EBM journey.

Kraftwerk (gig in croatia last week)-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ciao,
    Gia x

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    FLA are so wonderful! :D

i used to like KMFDM a lot, but i haven't been digging the more metal influenced industrial lately.

3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Wheeee, I used to listen to nothing but this stuff, and still dig the hell out of it from time to time.

FLA, Nitzer Ebb, Ministry depending on the album... I have some 10-12 different KMFDM discs, Skinny Puppy especially, real heavy stuff like Godflesh and Neubauten, down to dancey stuff like Pop Will Eat Itself, Acumen (now Acumen Nation), Front 242... Everything Rhys did was awesome (FLA, Hyperactif, etc), everything the KMFDM boys did was awesome, everything the Puppy guys did was awesome (to really shift gears, check out The Tear Garden: cEvin Key from Skinny Puppy with Edward Ka-Spel from The Legendary Pink Dots, resultant albums are slightly unnerving and mellow as hell, but gorgeous)

And yes, Kraftwerk definitely influenced almost everybody. Sascha Konietzko (KMFDM) reportedly got his start doing performance/sound-art with home appliances, that's pretty creative right there.

Also check out Art of Noise. They're the 80s Kraftwerk, I'd dare say.

=0)
    D

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ministry is one of my all time favorite bands. Those guys are killler.

I used to like KMFDM, but I've grown weary of the same album over and over again. Not to mention they are easily one of the worst live bands I've ever seen.

My old band, Dead Hand System, was a kind of industrial/ambient project involving myself and some of the employees from Nothing Studios. Good times. Good stuff. Rock star potential. Failed stunningly.

5. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

2 things: Though I see your same-album point, can't agree with you on KMFDM live, but then again, I *did* see them at Hammerjack's before its sad demise... every show there was a treat.

And the second thing is that it's sad that DHS didn't get anywhere.

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i would pay good money to see that! :D :D

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i ADORE pop will eat itself! :D

i'm very much into the 'dancey' stuff :p
    i go clubbing usually 3 or more times a week and i love all the progressive EBM and even some IDM :)

do you like Ficherspooner? (sp?)

10. My friend and frequent musical collaborator is big into Wumpscut and Ogre.

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    my friend Heil has the most gorgeous wumpscut military style bag.

i always try to steal it, and i always fail :(

12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, to be fair, the only time I saw KMFDM, they were so trashed before they even came out on stage they could barely play. They were having a hard time even standing up. After we had waited 45 minutes in between the opening act and KMFDM to hit the stage, we had just about had enough. :rollno:

And it is sad. Sad, sad, sad.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    All that is evil can be traced back to either Andy Warhol or Al Jourgensen.

The latter of which is not a bad thing; the former is.

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If it weren't for Al the world would be a sad place, indeed. I eagerly await the new Ministry CD, which is due out this summer.

I've really been digging Rammstein alot lately, too. Those guys kick ass, even if I don't understand what they are saying.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just when I thought you were cool.

:scowl:

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You thought too soon.

I'm also pretty excited about the new Cardigans CD. Really.

*Cool-o-meter™ plummets*

17. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

I'm a huge PWEI fan myself =0)

I only heard Fischerspooner (I *think* thats the right spelling) many years ago, if that's what I think it is. Problem is, (a) it was only once and (b) it was indeed many years ago. Therefore, I've forgotten if I liked it! =0)

EDIT: Benjamin - no harm in digging Rammstein. I enjoyed Sehnsucht (think that was the CD) very much, myself. They had the best idea for two guitarists ever - two players doing exactly the same lines, but one with a tube setup and a 24-3/4 scale instrument, the other solid state and 25-1/2, that's all IIRC, of course. Finally, guitar tones leaving space for each other within the same band, not turning to muck! (now we can work on them leaving space for bass....)

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, in all fairness, I do like the Rammstein song "Sonne." That's about it. Other than that, I'm not so sure.

19. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

i have some Fischerspooner. Good stuff, though i feel some of the songs drag on a bit.

20. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have been a fan of Ministry since the first time I saw them play at the 1992 Lolapalooza tour in Bicentennial Park, Miami. They just blew me away! I also saw them a year later in Orlando with Sepultura. I liked Rammstein's first album, but haven't kept up with the band's later work.

I'm not 100% sure Nine Inch Nails fits totally in the "industrial" category, but NIN is one of my all time faves.