1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Industrial/Metal Distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eleven59, Mar 11, 2008.

1. eleven59

eleven59

Mar 6, 2008
    Hey everyone, I'm reading through the distortion mega-thread, and researching a bunch, but figured I'd ask a direct question as I figure you guys will have some great suggestions.

What I'm looking for is a nice, dirty distortion, like Nine Inch Nails, Manson, White Zombie, In Flames, etc. if it could do that Tool sound too it would be great. Something like this:

I'm in talks with someone about a modded Big Muff pedal (blend knob, and other mods hopefully) to cover the fuzz end of the spectrum.

2. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    check out the Pigtronics Disnortion. It does everything distortion.

3. I believe Jeordie white from NIN and Manson used A Way Huge Swollen Pickle

and Justin From Tool Uses a few different boxes to get his sound such as a Turbo rat, Sansamp GT2, and a Colorsound Tonebender

Im Not sure about the other bands you listed though

4. eleven59

eleven59

Mar 6, 2008
    Yeah, I knew Justin ran a dual rig, running one stack clean and one with the Turbo Rat.

I've heard about the Swollen Pickles, will have to take a look at them.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Have you ever used one? Because I owned one for a while, and would not recommend it at all for the types of distortion he's asking for. Great for natural overdrive and smooth mellow fuzz though.

Landmine, Blowtorch, and Fatman are the names I'd recommend searching on. :)

The Swollen Pickle is just a Muff variant.

6. True about the Pickle...And I'd thought I'd add that Way Huge is releasing a reissue of the Swollen Pickle this year.
    Keep an eye out for it!!! It should be worth checking out.

Other than that The MXR Blowtorch would be worth checking out.

For me I went with a Rat II modded by Vodkamods.....

7. I don't think Twiggy's Manson sound was from a Swollen Pickle. The MXR M80 has a setting which is supposed to model his sound. It does an O.K job, but still not really close. I also say it has to do with his Thunderbirds and Ampegs.

The NIN sound could be copped with a Big Muff easy.

8. Well Twiggy did Use a Swollen Pickle for NIN anyway. not sure about what he used with APC or Marilyn Manson though.

Maybe someone could find this out?

9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    look at a tech 21 xxl bass edition and a GK Diesel Dawg as well... they're both known for being a bit more edgy than a typical overdrive unit. I've only got experience with the GK distortion since I owned a 2001RB amp which had the same circuit as a diesel dawg... it has a huge bottom end if you want it and has a very interesting type of distortion. Almost guitar like.

10. OK I've done a little research and I believe Twiggy is also using a PE Depth Charge .....which is a clone of the Maestro Brassmaster. So i would check into one of those as well.

11. Choosh

Choosh

Jan 14, 2008
    Chicago
    Don't copy tones. Research is okay, but try to make it your own. Life is better if we see more originality.

12. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Well... if you want to get into fuzz territory there are a lot of other pieces of gear to explore. The Malekko B:assmaster is a closer copy of the Brassmaster (and it was designed in collaboration with Paul Barker of Ministry, as industrial as you get really). You could also try a bluebeard, which is what the Mastodon guy uses. A woolly mammoth makes one hell of a racket too... it's often been described as very harsh and industrial sounding. But fuzz is a whole different beast than distortion, and it can be difficult to make it work within the context of a live band. Obviously it's not impossible, but it's easy to overdo it.

13. eleven59

eleven59

Mar 6, 2008
    I am making it my own, it's just a starting place.

And I'd say originality in what you play is more important than worrying about getting a 100% unique tone. Tone is in the fingers and technique.

14. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    ZVex Wooly Mammoth is good for metal/industrial. Good low end, good amount of texture, and not very vintage (70s) sounding. It can get a little synthy/squelchy if you turn the pinch knob up (which seems like a plus for your purposes, IMO).

The Malekko B:assmaster can cover similar territory and is probably more versatile, maybe a little bit more complex.

I agree that pedals are just a jumping off point. Only musicians care about what pedals you use. Most other people care about how good your songs are.

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Only thing I've found to ever to these sounds really well was the Boss FZ-2

I've had the Prescription Electronics Depth Charge that was used for most of the pre Jordie NIN stuff and it didn't come close I think they ran it more for a gritty edge into a sansamp but to me that pedal pretty much sucked.

FZ-2 all the way

16. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Just for the record...0:35 into "The Collector" rehearsal vid, Swollen Pickle in the hiz-ouse. :p

17. devi ever aenima? ;)

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Very very true but for the price of one of them you can get about 7-8 fuzz's :p

We shall see how good the reissue is :D

19. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    SCOFF... and the Pyramids are just buildings.

20. If your looking for kinda over the top distortion then +1 to the Tech 21 XXL. Even with the settings on the lowest settings it's really dirty and it retains most of the low end. It won't cost you an arm and a leg either.