Industrial Refrigeration Units

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jazzbo, Apr 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey guys,

I work at a bar, and we have to keep a lot of glassware, bottles of beer, and kegs cold all the time. Now, I think the bar I work at uses Kenmore, but I'm not totally sure. In California, we do have some laws regarding the maintenance of these units, especially in regards to the freon. Should I be concerned about how I handle the machine? Can I get in trouble?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Yep, you're in big trouble, there is a less-atorium on these type posts.
  3. my friend, you are UP THE CREEK. you've been warned REPEATEDLY, both by PM and email, about this kind of blatant disregard for authority. i know there's been a lot of brouhaha on this topic lately what with the General Electric scandal, but as you've been told time and time again, this simply is NOT the place to bring it up. :mad: :mad: :mad:

now i've discussed your behavior in depth with paul, and it's been a painful and unprecedented decision, but you are the first moderator that we must ask to leave, for good. paul said he wants your resignation by noon. carbon copy me on that, too, you disobedient little know-nothing know-it-all.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Err, what would you be "handling" the refrigerators for anyway? ;)

edit: refrigeration names for Jazzbo

1) COLD BLOW
    3) FROZE-TOE

Your employer is required to protect you from being exposed to chemicals at levels above the legal limits. See the "Resources" section on page 4 for information about how Cal/OSHA and Cal/OSHA Consultation Service can help you and your employer.

Substitution: The most effective way to reduce hazardous chemical exposures is to use safer chemicals in place of more dangerous ones. However, the health and safety hazards of other organic solvents must be considered before choosing them as a substitute. Generally, fluorocarbons are less hazardous than most other organic solvents.

Engineering Controls: When possible, employers must use engineering and administrative controls rather than personal protective equipment to prevent overexposures. Engineering control methods include installing ventilation, changing work practices, or changing the work process. Containers should be tightly covered to prevent evaporation. Some work processes can be isolated, enclosed, or automated to reduce exposures.

Local exhaust ventilation systems ("hoods") are the most effective type of ventilation control. These systems capture contaminated air at its source before it spreads into the air in your breathing zone.

Personal Protective Equipment: When engineering controls cannot sufficiently reduce exposures, a respirator must be worn and a respiratory protection program must be developed, as outlined by Cal/OSHA regulations (GISO 5144). An industrial hygienist or other knowledgeable person should be consulted to ensure that the equipment is appropriate and is used correctly. Improper respiratory equipment may not provide adequate protection.

Fluorocarbons have poor warning properties, so the cartridge or canister on an air-purifying respirator could wear out and need replacement without your knowing that it was no longer effective. Therefore, only a supplied-air respirator or an SCBA is approved.

If frequent and prolonged skin contact with fluorocarbons is necessary or if splashes may occur, personal protective equipment such as gloves, goggles, or faceshields should be worn. Protective clothing should be made of a material which is resistant to the specific fluorocarbon you are using. For instance, neoprene rubber is reported to be resistant to FC-12 and FC-113. Even the most resistant materials will be penetrated quickly and should be replaced often.
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I propose that if you are a moderator and you are tired of doing your job, give your title and responsibilities up to someone else. There are plenty of regular TalkBassers that would like to give moderating a shot!
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...oh, for crissakes!
  8. hopefully you are aware that this is all a joke.

i had a feeling you would be the one to post this thread, jazzbo. my first bet was chris fitzgerald, but you were up there. :p
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    First, to BRASSBALLSPRANCER, I'm sorry if my starting this thread offends you, but don't forget, every single member here at Talkbass is protected by the Constitution of these United Corporations, er, States or America :rolleyes: so don't infringe upon my God given rights. God save the Queen.

My concern is with the definition of "legal limits." I checked the onsight MFTEGFKRSUCNC (Manual For the Education and General Furtherment of Knowledge Regarding Safe and Unsafe Chemicals for Northern California - Revised, Ed. IV) and in section III, paragraph XXIV it stipulates "Northern California limits should not exceed 4 units per foot of enclosed space." I'm genuinely concerned about this as I've read an article in the March issue of Modern Industrial Refrigerationist that says I shouldn't be exposed to more than 3.2 units of, well, stuff. Should I write a congressperson?

Yeah, that may be true, but if you re-read my original post, which apparently you didn't take ANY time to do, :rolleyes: , you would see that my concern wasn't regarding fluorocarbons but FREON! HELLO!?!

Let's be realistic though. You know how it works: young, undertrained, inexperienced management getting heat from corporate to maintain the bottom line. How can I guarantee they're going to bring in the professionals with the knowledge to maintain the units?

Yo yo yo! Wassup in the hood, knowuti'msayin? It's all good in the hood mopho. Yeah!

How am I gonna look serving a mudslide in a respirator?

Our SCBA is old. Management says a new one is too expensive and not worth the money it costs to prevent an unlikely fluorocarbon leak. Speaking of which, fat free potato chips have been known to cause anal leakage. Should I get an SCBA for my bum?

Okay, so now I'm wearing gloves, goggles, a faceshield, and a respirator while pouring beer? Management won't spring for neoprene rubber, they'll only use ostioporene.

"Even the most resistant materials will be penetrated quickly and should be replaced often." Man, you said it all right there brother. Preach on.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Shouldn't you be practicing...

Sitting here watching the Flyers S-U-C-K.
  11. Refrigeration units are for all practical purposes are sealed. If Freon were escaping into the atmosphere where you could breath it, you would be calling the Repairman on a regular basis to fill it up. The cost of that would cut into profits and therefore repairs would be made. Unless U puncture a condenser line while defrosting a fridge it's not likely that You have been exposed, more likely to have Freon wafting around the seals to the compressor tanks then in or around the cases themselves.
    AC repairmen, well the good ones, carry gas detection devices that can tell you ppm in any given area. Don't know if they are sensitive enough to test at those levels though.
    If you really want something to worry about as a bartender, read the labels on the soap U have in the glass washers, especially the rinse stuff. Those ate my hands up when the machine went wacky and doubled the flow of liquids
  12. closing time.

you don't have to go home but you can't stay here. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.