Industrial strength bass amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fast slapper, Jul 23, 2002.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I could see it maybe getting use as a backup :D

j/k...honestly though, that thing looks like it means business :eek:

not that I would ever need one, but I wonder what the street price is
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    With a list of $10,000 it better change my strings, tune my bass, and wash my dishes.
  4. for 10 g's it better suck and *uck me! haha i got that from a movie just cant remember which one
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    It's BS. Of the "pure" variety. The stuff about the five-9s copper and silver wiring is the key. What good does any of that do when you're using monstrous tubes like that? If the tube was designed for "continuous high-power industrial demands", something tells me subtlety wasn't too high on their list. If anybody could tell a difference between .9999 copper and .99999 copper, they sure as hell wouldn't be able to going through this thing.

I pity the fool who loses $10k on one of those.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Would love to give one a go.

The traditional multi-component "rack infatuation" seems to be getting dated. Paying a couple of hundred bucks for some plastic-like housing for one's components seems ludicrous.....but that stuff still sounds mighty fine.

Otherwise, give me a bigass Crest power amp and all the reserve power those have coupled with a nice preamp like an Alembic FX.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah - with 3400w on tap from a QSC PLX3402, at 2 rack spaces, 21 pounds, and <$1k, 650w from a huge $10k tube head seems a little silly. Yeah, it's tubes, I'll give 'em that much. But still.
  8. If I wanted that much tube power, a pair of Aguilar DB728s would be about a quarter of the price.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I surely hope that the 9,999$ include the flatbed truck needed for transportation.

Tubes can be nice, but this is ridiculous IMO. Maybe there are really some people who blindly buy anything that has tubes in it.

I wouldn't trade my (solid state) rig for it.

I'm right there with you man. Word.

Seemed really really silly to me also, which is why I gave it a 2. Sounds like most "hopeful" advertising I hear all the time from vendors.

And I'd bet you that any copper you find in your particular amp is prolly 0.9999% pure. Just add $9k for that extra 0.00009%

11. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    What do they mean by "industrial use", anyway? Do they use bass amps to drive servos or run diagnostics or something in factories now?
  12. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That thing's got me thinking. I have a bunch of NOS RCA #812A triode transmitter final tubes here. Monsters! Plate caps on top! I had thought about building a single ended triode amp for my home listening with them. But now...oh.....a...let's see: 6 812A's run push pull with 1200 volts on the plates......ummmm........gotta go!
  13. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Whether you can tell the difference between .9999 and .99999 copper isn't really the point. A lot (most?) of us here can't afford this thing and therefore we think of an extra 1/100,000th as BS. However, if we were all filthy stinking rich we would be saying "It damn well better have .99999 silver-plated copper in it!" Its decadent excess and I like it! (I just can't afford it!)
    If you think that amp is extreme you should pick up a copy of Stereophile sometime.
  14. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

Aren't some of those amps around $20 grand?
  15. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I subscribe to Stereophile. :)

I personally don't *think* that .99999 copper sounds any different to the human ear than .9999 copper. But I haven't undergone rigorous testing to prove this. Even so, it seems beyond absurd to me for someone to claim benefit from this in an amplifier that uses transmitter driver tubes and is intended for bass amplification.

Speaking of absurd - recently Stereophile reviewed, in one issue, three different sets of loudspeakers costing over $20,000 (each set). Given the simple task of reproducing a step-function signal (band-limited of course), each of the three produced a vastly different output. None of them was terribly close. They all got glowing reviews (I'm sure they're great speakers, and would gladly take any of them :), but this just shows that loudspeakers are so far from accurate that it's a joke).
  16. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I figured the "nine-hundred-thousandths of a percent more pure" thing was just something a people would pay for "because they can". Kinda like that Alessandro Basset Hound head with the solid gold chassis for $50,000
  17. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    True enough, no human could hear any difference.
    As far as speakers are concerned, I concur. Aside from some improvement in materials, they remain largely uneveloved and not really much different than when they were first developed.
    Cool mag, Stereophile. I like the recommended components issues.
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmmm ... maybe I'd better put that WT-550 on hold 'til I get the full scoop on this thing. NOT!

What a colossal waste of money. Does anyone think this thing will sound any better than an Aguilar or Eden tube head? Gimme a break here, folks.
  19. Dude, i just bought one of these, what's up with that.

:D :D
  20. BUT......
    does the gain go to eleven??

I think NOT!!:D :cool: ;)