1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Industry showcases"?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Drop-the-One, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Does anyone know anything about these showcases?

My guess is it's either a panel of A&Rs and dudes like off of American Idol critiquing your band or it's a fancy way of saying "gig"

I have to head to Cali to play one of those and I have no clue what it means.

What were your experiences like? What did you get out of them?

2. Usually they're glorified pay to play scams from what I've heard.

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    This. If you're actually playing a showcase, you'll KNOW about it. Any vagueness on the part of the event's promoters should make your spidey-sense tingle.

A lot of "showcases" are pretexts to allow a "promoter" to get a bunch of bands to play their shows for free. My band attended one not too long ago where people walked around with badges telling others what company they supposedly worked for...what they didn't know was that our keyboard player already knew some of the people in those company's A&R departments personally...one girl wearing a Columbia badge didn't even know where her company was located :rollno:

Real showcases are carefully planned, and the people involved have been introduced before the event. The record company eyeing you wants to see you in action and see what you can do with a crowd (and what kind of crowd you can draw), not catch you unawares in a dive. They want to see if you're something they can sell. There won't be a panel to critique you; either they want to sign you, or they don't.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If a label wants to see you play, THEY will set it up - and their won't be other labels "in attendance".

5. +1 to invader and walter

6. Decedo

Decedo

Nov 23, 2008
    Yeah, they'll set it up if they're serious. I was in a band and we did one for Capital and later Warner. It was actually pretty kewl. They set us up in one of SIR's big rooms with couches, huge PA, soundman, and techs. Black Sabbath was in the next room and Dwight Joakam was in the another.

7. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    99.99% of them are total scams like everybody has mentioned. Theres a couple guys in chicago who have been notorious for doing these scams to up and coming bands. If theres more than one band there, well..maybe you can find a nice diner afterwords.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020