Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Industry Standards

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cassanova, Apr 23, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ive got a few idea for a project I would like to try. Its going to involve some market reaserch and things of that nature. Part of the information I need to know is what are the industry standards in the following genres, Ive been playing for churches so long now that Im not up to snuff on what the standards are in some of the genres.

1. Funk
    2. Country
    3. Jazz
    4. smooth jazz
    5. reggae
    6. lounge music
    7. oldies (50-60's mostly)
    8. stuff a wedding band would play.

I appricate any help provided as will my wallet in the near future.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'll take fifties and sixties oldies because that would be when I was in junior high, high school and college.

So let me give you some background into that era because "Oldies" takes into consideration several important genres of that period.

The early fifties saw mostly balladeers who sang innocent, tame, gentle happy music most of which was quite short, under three minutes. Those stars included Doris Day, Patty Page, and crooners like Perry Como and Johhny Ray. Then, thanks to Bill Haley and The Comets with major hits like "See You Later, Alligator" and "Rock Around the Clock" a whole new era or rock and roll was born.

Haly opened up the flood gates of what I call true modern rock music. AT least he brought that music to the white community. Also, for the first time black artists bagan to be heard on general radio. They quickly followed Haley who was white, but played a black style of music. They were Little Richard, The Big Bopper, Fats Domino , Chuck Berry and others. Whites who had a "black' sound included Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and, of course, Elvis, who made his first major impact when I was in the ninth grade. (I was scared to death of him.)

But ballads did not lose popularity either, so we had the early rise of artists like Pat Boone, Johnny Mathis, Bobby Vee, The Four Lads, The Platters, Bobby Vinton, Roy Orbison, Tennessee Ernie Ford.

There was also what I call the "American Bandstand" group of performers...the first teen idols of my time. Frankie Avalon, Dion, Paul Anka, Bobby Darren (my personal favorite), Neil Sedaka, and the birth of the surf movement with Jan and Dean.

But in the very early sixties another style of music became very popular, that was neo-folk as popularized by Peter, Paul and Mary, The Kingston Trio, The Serendipity Singers, Woody Guthrie and Bobby Dylan, The new Christy Minstrels among others.

Also one cannot ignore "Doo Wop" music whose sound is very typical of those times. Doo Wop groups were many and most have only one or two hits that stand out. Some bigger names include The Del Vikings, The Five Satins, The Silhouettes, The Roulettes, The Whsipers, The Flamingos and The Deltones.

Then about the time I was a junior in college the U.S. was hit by the so-called "British Invasion." The Beatles were first, quickly followed by The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Animals, and many, many others. Plus, significantly MoTown was making an impact at that time, too, with such groups as Diana Ross and the Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas, The Four Tops, etc. And, also the surf movement carried on with the ascendancy of The Beach Boys. Also, the mid-sixties saw the birth of a major act--Sonny and Cher.

By the mid-sixties we had The Doors, The Jefferson Airplane, Creedance Clearwater, The Fifth Dimension and the start of funk groups such as Sly and The Family Stone and Blood, Sweat and Tears.
    Importantly this time was characterized by groups that sang "protest music" against the VietNam War and music also was entering a psychedelia phase as LSD became a recreational drug before its dangerous side effects were widely known.

Cassanova, to help you in your research check out this web site. It gives very detailed information as to the history, the stars, the vital songs and albums of each period. It will be of great use to you in selecting best known music from each genre in your list.

www.allmusicguide.com

3. Boplicity

I see All Music Guide does not have a smooth jazz category, so I will ratlle off some names off the top of my head. Smooth jazz is much maligned here at TalkBass, but I do confess to liking some of it, so I will list some names...but not Kenny (whoops.)

George Benson, Fourplay, Boney James, Earl Klugh, Candy Dulfer, Rick Braun, Norman Bown, Peter White, Chris Botti, Dave Koz, Dave Sanborn, Ramsey Lewis, Quincy Jones, Herb Alpert, Kirk Whalum, Najee, Spyro Gyra, The Rippingtons, Lee Rittenour, Bob James, Phillipe Saisse, Joe McBride, 3RD Force, Peter Cincotti, and many others.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Thank you very much for all that info Bop. Especially the stuff on the 50's-60's music. My possible counterpart and I were thinking of the DooWap, Motown, Surf music. We kinda wanted to cover a little bit of each in that era, so you breaking it down for me like that, is very much appriciated. I also appriciate the smooth jazz artists that you listed too. Im a big Spyro Gyra fan, but besides them and George Benson and a couple of others, I really didnt know many of the other artists in that genre. So you just opened up a plethora of knowledge for me.

The link you provided is also going to come in very useful for me as well.

Thank you!!

Mama Cass

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Excellent post Bop, but that brings about another question that I've always pondered. When does the "Oldies" era end and the "Classic Rock" era begin. I would venture to say when the Beatles broke, but I would like other opinions.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Oh and Cass, since you mentioned Surf Music, you should also note that even to this day, Surf music has a pretty large cult following.

7. Boplicity

Gosh, what a great question, Liquid. I honestly must say I never gave the distinction a thought and have to admit you have a valid point about the seeming dramatic division between these two eras of music. Another oddity is that music older than what we call "oldies" is the post WWII music and music even before that is not called "oldies" music. Instead the title usually refers specifically to music from the mid-fifties to the early sixties.

One distinction I can think of, but make absolutely no claim to being right about the reason, is that most so callled "oldies" music was recorded on the 45RPM and 78RPM disc vinyl disc format. Added to that, "oldies" are quite short songs, often less than three minutes.

Music began to make a dramatic change about my junior year of college (1964) when the Beatles hit us full blast and then the floodgates opened for British bands. By the mid-sixties, especially the summer I was in Air Force OT, music was much bolder, brasher, experimental, looser, freer, complex and longer. I really liked the changes and new approaches and lyrics dealt with more highly charged topics and not just sweet little doo wop love diddies. If I recall that break to the new music began in 1964 and was well entrenched by 1967.

I'll never forget the long solo in "Light My Fire" by the Doors. Solos that long were unheard of on radio before that (1967). I really dug it. I guess the break between oldies and classic rock comes just as the Beetles broke big in the U.S. Some "oldies" style music remained, but it had already been dealt a nearly fatal blow as new styles began to dominate.

Still, I have to say this. Almost every major market in the U.S. has an oldies radio station. That music continues to attract many listeners even today. Every market has a Classic Rock station, too. But the music played on these two formats is very different.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    A classic rock station we have here playes predominatly very late 60's (Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, etc through 70's music)

Yet another one we have here considers classic rock to be rock from the 70's and 80's, which playing 890's rock makes sense, since it is classic rock by now. A good example is VanHalens 1984 album, its going to be 20 years old soon.

Our "oldies" station plays a variety of hits from the 50's-60's and even some choice songs that match the 50's and 60's. I think the stations Motto is "playing all the greastest hits from the 50's, 60's and 70's" But they're cool, they are the only station that plays the old school Motown :D