1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

InEarz review - in process!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by JPaulGeddy, Apr 21, 2016.

1. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Took the plunge, and sent away impressions for a pair of custom IEMs from InEarz. Excited!

I had decided earlier this year to go custom. Have done IEM before, but with varying quality of earbuds. In all cases, I always lost the seal almost immediately - not so bad for singing, sucks for bass.

I'd been set on 1964 Qi, but they apparently don't do them anymore. The new line/s, while great, I'm sure, were just a little out of my desired price range. So did some sleuthing around. InEarz is apparently well-known for upgrading existing buds, but also make their own. I've opted for the P450; 4 drivers, high/mid/bass x2.

Impressions were quick and easy, cost $65.

P450s start at $475. I went plain with the colors, so no extra charge there.

They have an option for an ambient port, but I got the impression they don't recommend it. Also mentioned it curbs some low end, so that was a big 'no'.

They also have an option for soft canals, but only up to the three-driver model. Lady on the phone says they very rarely, if ever, get complaints about the acrylic. I'm a weekend warrior, so not a huge concern in any event.

I did opt for the recessed jacks. Anything to assure the connection.

So, in total -

475 - IEMs
    20 - recessed socket
    65 - molds
    10 - shipping
    ----
    $570 for custom 4-driver, extra bass IEMs. You can go nuts with the colors and options, of course.

Mailed in today. They're just a state over from me, so should start brewing soon. I couldn't find much info on these guys here, and there's never enough details of experience with IEM around here. Always a leap of faith, but always seems to be well worth it. Stay tuned!

TedH and s0c9 like this.
  2. JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Update 1 - mailed impressions on Thursday, received a PayPal invoice today (Tuesday). Lead time - 'about 4 weeks'. Really hoping to get them before Memorial Day, have a 3-day gig over that weekend. Would be perfect.

3. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    Great stuff. I've been using Inearz brand for about 7 years, the beta 350's. Just got a new/backup pair of 450's. Very nice.
    Full disclosure, our band has an endorsement with Inearz, they're local to me.

4. JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Received the other day, 6 weeks + 1 day. Not terrible, but was hoping for closer to the 4 weeks mentioned on the invoice.

No gig until the 25th :/ Tried them out just listening to music; fit is fantastic. Seal is good, noise is nicely reduced, and I don't feel like I'll have a problem with the acrylic. Won't know for sure until I put some wear on them.

To be honest, I had to adjust my thinking on the sound quality. They do not smack you in the face with bass response - but I think part of that is being conditioned from the pseudo-sound effects manufacturers use in headphones to make them 'bassier'. These strike me more as transparent. Sound quality is very good and even so far. Still adjusting settings and testing, but overall still very pleased.

Oh, and the box they come in is super nice. Like about 5" by 8". Might even be room for a receiver if I cut it out a bit.

Attached Files:

s0c9 likes this.
  5. fishsome

fishsome Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    Awesome! I'm watching this as I'm thinking of purchasing the 450s.

6. JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Ok, first gig in the books.

Fit - when I tested them at home, the fit was pretty much perfect. The things practically work themselves in when you put them to your ears. Nice tight seal, barely broke (if at all) no matter the head/jaw position. The gig, however, they did feel a little slippery for a bit. They settled in just fine after a bit, but weren't tight at first. I'm chalking this up to the fact the gig was at a club on the beach, and it was 90+ degrees out. So whole lotta heat and even more humidity. It wasn't detrimental by any stretch, was just something I noticed. Apart from that, very comfortable, and no issues through the two nights. Might be a 'side effect' of the hard acrylic vs softer ones? Don't know, don't have anything to compare it to.

Sound - as mentioned before, they feel very transparent and will give you whatever you put in. They are not going to sound like Dre Beats out of the box - but they will take whatever you give them. Ran a 4-string passive and a 5-string active, both sounded good. No problems accommodating the low B. No distortion or compression that I could tell. Sounded clean across the spectrum to my ears.

Side Notes

- ran wired, and the Behringer P1 got through two 4-hour gigs with one battery. Not a bad little piece of kit; kinda big though. Will likely change it out eventually, but it's certainly functional/cheap.

- cable seems sturdy. Detachable/replaceable, so will pick up a spare for sure ($35). Units themselves are very sturdy. The word 'fragile' never came to mind.

- So so glad to be back with in-ears. Especially since my current band has been playing straight through, 3.5-4 hours straight of noise is just too much. Whatever product tickles your fancy, I can't recommend in-ears strongly enough.

- really makes one think/re-think about one's technique and tone, both instrumentally and vocally. Already have a dozen different thoughts of things I might change/practice/tighten up. Down side of being able to hear so well.

- There was enough ambient noise from the open mics that there was no (bad) feeling of isolation. That being said, there was very definite sound protection. When I took them out, the din in the (not very full) bar was louder than my monitor volume.

Bottom Line / TL;DR -

I don't have much reference for customs, but I have used in-ears before, and the custom experience is far superior in sound quality and comfort. They feel good, they sound good, and they're on the low end of the cost spectrum. Very happy with purchase.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. Hope it helps someone out!

s0c9 and billbern like this.
  7. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Just ordered some P450s. Pretty stoked. Wondering if I shoulda got the recessed plugs.

8. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The Inearz seem to be a heckuva deal compared to other CIEMs. Anyone else have experience with these?

9. JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Cool! I can definitely still recommend them. Only 'issue' I have has more to do with the impression than the product. Think I didn't do my impressions effectively enough. Definitely put some thought into how you will be positioned while using these. A millimeter of movement in the jaw can change things drastically, especially for bass response. They advise a 1"-2" bite plate when doing impressions, which I did not do (saw it too late). Have a feeling that would've really helped.

In other words, read the manual. :)

10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    If your impressions are being done by a pro (audiologist) who does them for IEM's, they should KNOW to do them with a bite block!

11. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    When I got my 1964 Quads, they were great, but they would unseal with certain head moves or if I smiled big or laughed. I inquired to 1964 about a re-fit, which they were more than willing to do, but I realized that at that point, I did not want to part them for 2 weeks for the refit. The 1964 guy suggested I try these until I could find time to send the IEMs back for a refit...

https://www.amazon.com/Hearing-Comp...1&keywords=Hearing+Components+Comply+SoftWrap

That was over two years ago. I still use these and they work great! Just under $20 for 20 of them (10 pair). They last about a month before they need replacing. It's worth the price for a sure-fire fit and not sending them back.

Give 'em a try on yours...

JPaulGeddy and s0c9 like this.
  12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I got my P350-XBs back in April. They're the triple driver model tuned for extra bass response. They are totally not lacking in bass and sometimes I wonder if I would've been better off with the regular model. I did have to send them back for a refit due to one side breaking seal but have been happy with them ever since, especially considering the cost savings over other manufacturers. I definitely couldn't see spending four figures on IEMs!

[​IMG]

13. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    The Comply Comfort Strips in action...

IMG_4456.JPG

14. JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh, I'm so trying those. Thanks!

15. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Geri.. great that these work, but surely the whole point of custom fit, is NOT needing to use something like this to get the fit..???:confused:
    Audiologists who do impressions for IEM's should know about the bite block fit issue - I mentioned it above.

If anyone reading this has yet to get, or is planning to get impressions done for custom molds - no matter the vendor - make sure that you ask them if they have done such impressions before and make sure they have the bite blocks available.

I was lucky, the 2 times in needed impressions, they were done right the first time by an audiologist who does them for a local mega-church, which just happens to use the same vendor (1964 Ears) as I was going to.. Perfect fit on both sets of ears. .

Happy Face likes this.
  16. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Oh, I absolutely agree totally!!

I'm just offering a stop-gap solution to those in my position of not wanting or being able to let the IEMs go back for a refit. I've literally had no time in over two years to send them back. However, I didn't intend the hard-sell nature of that post. We are paying for custom-made IEMs to be made properly in the first place, no doubt.

Since I had the Quad impressions made, I've found the lady ear doc in town that's known for doing good impressions the first time. I hope to have her on 64 Audio's referral list soon, if she isn't already. I have faith that I won't need the comfort strips on the set of IEMs I have made.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    s0c9 likes this.
  17. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, I used a bite block during the impression.

I'm hoping and looking forward to a good fit/seal. I'm so over losing the bass from my M Audio universals when I turn my head or smile!

s0c9 likes this.
  18. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Got my P450s! Fit great, with perfect seal. Sound way better than my M audio IE 30's (rebranded UEs). Can't see how some other quad driver CIEMs can be worth 2-3 times the cost.

IMG_1309.JPG

Bullitt5135 and elgecko like this.
  19. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I received my InEarz P450s last week, and I'm very pleased. Delivery took exactly 1 month from time of order. No issues at all. I just filled out the form, mailed my order, received the invoice the next day by email, paid via paypal, and waited a month for delivery. I also received an email notice when they shipped.

Perfect fit and seal. In fact, they take a little effort to pry them out – once they are in, they're IN. Sound quality is excellent. Much more definition than the $50 MEE Pro's I was using previously. There is a lot of detail in the low end. Listening to my iPod for instance, I was surprised to hear the sound and reverb of the bass drum -- very musical. There is much more air and definition around individual instruments, with a wide sound stage. Very comfortable and enjoyable to listen to music for long periods. I also tried the P450s while mowing the lawn. They almost completely seal out the sound of my loud riding mower, and I can listen to my iPod at less than half volume.

I have only used the P450s for one band practice so far, and they were a big improvement over my old buds. Everything just sounds, cleaner, fuller, more detail. Very comfortable to wear, and not fatiguing. I find I can turn the overall volume down more than usual and still clearly hear what I need to. Currently, I am just using the main mix until I can set up my own aux mix off our Behringer X32. I had a few moments during practice where I thought, "man, I've never heard such a nice overall sound while playing live before."

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I'd recommend looking into InEarz if you are considering CIEMs. They cost less than most equivalent brands, and the results, quality, and service exceeded my expectations.

JPaulGeddy, elgecko and Dave Hill like this.
  20. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I would agree with this statement. No knock on other brands, but InEarz does the job for me at a lower price point. Similarly, 6-, 8- or 12-driver models may be perfect for some users, but in my case I think they would just be overkill. On the other end of the spectrum, the InEarz P350 triple-drivers might be perfectly good for a lot of people, especially if budget is a concern. It would be cool if InEarz could come up with a way to make universal demo models available so people could compare them. In my case I had the funds to go with the quads, so I decided to take the leap. Very happy I did.

Dave Hill likes this.