Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive 2x10/1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovit, Oct 30, 2004.

1. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    I need to get a new cab to replace my Crate 1x15. It's jsut not giving me what I need in regards to sound and headroom. It's rated for 200 watts, and on a regular basis, I need to put about 200-300 into it. Also, it was really boomy. I'm looking for either a 2x10, 2x12, or some other combination that is rated for at least 350 watts. Ohmage isn't as much of an issue. I can't really spend more than $150 on it. Is something like that going to exist, or should I save my pennies for something better?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree with the Avatar suggestion. However "Ohmage", or Impedance to be more precise, is ALWAYS an issue. Get it wrong and you could very easily fry your head.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    absolutley
    ohms info

4. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    I don't know as I'm comfortable buying a cab unplayed. Does anyone carry Avatar? Or is there anyone near me (NH) who owns one?

5. at that price who cares? they are tuned to spec and use the same speakers as the name brand ones.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are buying new, and want the best bang for the buck, then my top three recommendations are (in no particular order):

Dr. Bass
    Avatar (though I haven't heard them, myself)
    Low Down Sound

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Save your pennies. Avatar's are a great value, but I am not aware of an Avatar cab shipped to your door for $150.

-Mike

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good point. The only thing I can even think of in that price range, shipped, that might do the trick would be a used Peavey 210TX. I just sold one, shipped, for close to that price, and these are respectable cabs.

9. No they don't. They use an off the shelf speaker made by the same manufacturer as many brand name cabinet makers, but that by no means makes it the same speaker.