Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive 4 string.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shawnost, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I am looking into buying an inexpensive 4 string. I've been playing with a band that uses drop C tuning and having to de-tune/retune my 5's is a real pain. :spit: I am currently looking at the SX's from rondomusic but came accross a Kramer on musicyo. I was leaning towards the SX after reading the megathread here, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Kramer. Both basses work out to be within $3 of each other with shipping, so that is not an issue...keeping it as cheap as possible is, especially with a Roscoe SKB3006 in the works. :ninja:

2. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    If you are thinking about the Kramer Focus basses, I believe you would be better off getting an SX. I know 2 people who have purchased Kramer Focus guitars and it turns out that these have laminated bodies (i'm going to assume the Focus basses are the same) while the SX have solid bodies. Add that to the great customer service from Kurt @ Rondo and I think its almost a no brainer.

3. Shawnost

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Yep, I was thinking of the focus. Anyone else?

4. The SX does not disappoint. If you want to keep it Drop-C, it might be a good idea to upgrade the nut and/or bridge, but I really wouldn't know. SX is great though!

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yamaha Basses are very well built for the price. You can find some sweet deals on ebay for prices that are next to nothing...

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I second this and suggest you also look for used Peavey's and Ibanez's as well. I played several SX basses and thought they were good but the ones I tried were heavier than my Fenders. I would avoid the Focus, it is garbage. I played one a short while ago and it felt like a toy. In comparison the SX is a much better bass and a good value.

7. Shawnost

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I think that I am leaning towards the SX SPB-57 after some feedback on the Kramer bass. Trying to keep the purchase close to $100 with shipping to keep it under the radar. :bag:

8. RedBlueFireMan

RedBlueFireMan

Jul 16, 2005
    you could get a rogue, even though they are bottom of the line. But as many others said the SX SPB 57 TM is great for the money. It was my first bass and I was not dissapointed

9. Shawnost

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Played a few Rogue basses and was not impressed, I am currently looking at an Ibanez on ebay to match my SR885 which has been my workhorse for the last 8+ years. :)

10. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Low cost, good value, 4 string, for drop c tuning?

ESP-LTD B-50

Costs more than an SX up front, but cheaper than upgrading it.

11. Shawnost

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I hadn't thought about ESP basses. :eek: I will check them out.

Shawn

12. Shawnost

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Well, I decided to go with the SX from Rondo and ordered it this afternoon. I just couldn't ignore the pricing on those bases.

Shawn

13. 1980s era (with the Super Ferrite PUPs) Peavey Foundation. Jazz neck. Jazz tone. Solid build quality. (But zero snob appeal) Seldom more than $150 on eBay.

14. My OLP Stingray is pretty decent for a cheapy bass.

15. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    if you are just using drop C, why doesnt the five work out well? You already have another fret more than they are working with. I find basses tuned to drop C, or open C, to have too floppy of strings to play very well, and would much prefer the low B.

16. Shawnost

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    I see what you are saying, on second thought, I did not explain myself very well. :meh: The band I am playing with is tuned to D (D,G,C,F) with the D dropped to C (C,G,C,F) for about half the songs. The remaining songs are all B tuned, so it would be a bit of a pain to continually detune/retune my 5 string. So what I was after was a cheap bass to tune to drop C. I decided to go with the SX P bass and will string it with heavier gauge strings to increase the string tension and get rid of the floppy string feel. :bassist: Hopefully all works well. Besides, I'll use any excuse to buy a new bass. :smug:

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

Shawn