Inexpensive 4x10s - Peavey or.. ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tsal, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok, I was almost decided on 2x12s but they seem to be insanely hard to find in my part of the world :mad:

So, how about a 4x10 as a single cab to go with my 5-string, my Hartke 3500 head and my rockband setting? The Peavey TVX-410 looks pretty good and is quite cheap too - plus it's said to go deep, enough to handle low B in stage volumes too.

However, there are competitors in this price range of 4x10s: SWR Workingmans, GK Backline, H&K Bass Regular 410H, Sunn 410H, Hartke TP.. To name a few. Any opinions about these?

I'm especially interested in hearing about Peavey 410 experiences, since I know their good reputation. Besides, I have Peavey TNT combo that is older than me and still sounds good :D
  2. handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    the peavy's are pretty nice but if i was you i would go for an Avatar!!!! they are a great quality speaker and they are wicked cheap. plenty of wattage 1200 to be exact. and for that price you could almost get a 115 too. just my 2 cents
  3. I have the Sunn 410, it somehow puts out more low end than the Yorkville 1x15 I use on occasion. It's pretty light in weight too compared to others I think.
  4. Ahh yes.......4X10's
    Very beautiful things indeed.

I don't know too much about peavey other then hearing a couple TNT's at local shows. Some people swear by them but I can't comment of them. I did like that old ass TNT though.........

I'm a biased SWR user myself, and for the price I would probably go with the workingman's series stuff. I don't know what your style is or what you tastes are but I would suggest trying them out. I own one and it's taken a beating already. Still sounds pretty crisp for it's price. Only thing I don't like about them is that they only carry them in 8 ohms. and they take only about 400W.

I would suggest looking at hartke as well. They seem to be coming out with cool stuff.

Just a matter of taste I guess. I would probably save just a little bit and get a mid range cab that will last you a long time. It'll help in the midrange dept.

happy hunting........
  5. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I have a Hartke TP 4x10 with the HA3500 amp and I absolutely love it! IMO, you can't beat Hartke for value. You get a lot of bang for your buck.

I have used SWR Workingman's series products in the past and loved them also. They're only a little more $$ than Hartke and I don't think you could go wrong either way.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I guess you didn't notice where he lives :rolleyes: .

Shipping costs wouldn't be very cost effective for an Avatar.

The Peavey 410TVX is a great cab. Probably the best in it's price range.

IMO, to get a better sounding cab than the Peavey 410TVX, you would have to step-up to Eden, SWR-Pro, Aguilar, etc. (Or, Peavey Pro series;) ).
  7. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a Peavey 410TXF, the same model except covered with carpeting instead of vinyl. It's a great sounding cab for the price, and works well with a 5 string. Plenty deep and loud. The downside - it is the biggest and heaviest 410 out there, as far as I know. Mine weighs about 45 kilos.

I don't use mine much any more since I got several hi-end 1x12s, but that's a different story.
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    See above. :D

EDIT: I just noticed where you are located. I don't know how hard it would be to find the Benz cabs in your part of the world or if it's possible. Sorry. :(
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say a good used SWR Goliath.
  10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    when i bought my 4x10 i tested the rest and still went with peavey. i am a die hard swr user and i toured with a SR. i just didnt see enough difference to justify the price. i love mine and think you would as well.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've never used a WM 4x10 on a gig, but my experience with them in music stores is that they do not handle the low B very well at moderate volume. I would imagine at high volume they would break up pretty badly.
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok guys, thanks for the advice, I ordered the Peavey TVX (4ohm) today. Should be here some time next week.

Ebozzz, I looked into G-B cabs but coulden't find any European stores that could sell me one.

I'm looking to put some casters on the TVX to help me lug it around. I'll see if I can put anything trolley-like on, as in couple wheels behind the cab and handle on the top, so I could tilt it back and cart it around.
  13. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I didn't put casters on mine, but I sometimes move it around with a good-quality hand truck. It goes through narrow doors easier sideways. Enjoy!
  14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That sucks Tsal. The Benz cabs are nice and affordable. I'm not saying that the TVX is a bad cab. I almost bought a couple of 410 TVX cabs before finding out about the Benz. I just happen to like what I get from them a little more than the TVX. If it means anything to you, they are very hard to find in stores in the states also.