Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

inexpensive 5-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by discoboo, Jan 13, 2003.

1. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    hola...anyone recommend a decent 5-string for a reasonable price? something i can play out, but one that doesn't bust the budget. i've played 4's for the longest time and i feel it's time to start expanding my parameters. thanks for the input.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    If you just want to see if 5 is your thing, Brice (same company that makes essex, Rondo) has a five string thats major cheapo.

But if you want a GOOD cheap fiver, check out the Kingston 5

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can afford $500, get an MTD Kingston 5. If you can't afford $500, look for a used MTD Kingston 5.

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    There are some pretty decent priced new Fender 5-strings that I have seen on lately.

Check:

Samash.com

Hope this helps.

Dave

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    MTD Kingston 5's are great and can be had used for $275-325. If that fits your budget...
    I played a Cort 5 once that had a decent B for its class.

6. Check out a Yamaha BBG5A, wonderful neck profile, and an excellent B string.

7. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    The Dean 5 strings seem to be pretty inexpensive, and they play very nicely.

I'd try a bunch before you decide what to get. String spacing makes a big difference to me. I prefer wide fretobards with a thing (front-to-back) profile. My Heartfield DR5 and the Yamaha BB series were the most comfortable necks for me. I'm sure that a lot of other folks think they're too broad.

That said, I'm waiting on a fretless Brice. :)

8. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    thanks to all for the input. i'll look into your suggestions. i've only just discovered this site and it has proved to be a great resource, because the Bass rules!

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I own a Dean Edge 5 fretless and I love it. I play it regularly both in my acoustic trio and in church. It is reliable, giggable, and plays and sounds great. Check out www.musiciansfriend.com for Dean's line. Some of the quilt top ones are beautiful for very reasonable prices.

10. I vote for the Godin Freeway 5. Excellent, excellent workmanship, great classic tones. The price can't be beat. Mine was $615 Canadian with case - you should be able to get one for less in U.S. dollars I should think (probably not the direct conversion of $400, but who knows).

11. Yamaha BBG5S.

Yamaha set the recommended retail in the UK at £399: street price is obviously lower.

I don't know what £399 = US$. This bass reckons to be one of the best available for the £ or $. I read a recent review by an ordinary player (rather than a mag) who gave it 98%, saying, in his opinion, it equalled basses 3 times the price.

I'm a big Yamaha fan, anyway. I reckon you get a great deal of bass for your bucks.

John

12. I can't be one to make suggestions (since I'm still shopping for my first bass), but I found a nearly new mint Yamaha BBG5S in my local music store, but they're asking $550 US (including hard case). From what I've seen, that seems really high for this bass, but after picking up and trying a fair number of basses looking for "the one", I really like the feel and the sound of this one.

I can afford to pay that much, but I hate to get totally ripped off, so any advice is welcome. And thanks for all the advice and input I've read on this forum so far.

Now to find me a Kingston 5 to try. And a Schecter. And a Carvin. and.....

13. sweems

sweems

Feb 13, 2003
    Benton, AR
    I just bought a Peavey Grind 5 and besides a little setup buzz I think it sounds great. Great tone and feel. It is my first 5. I bought it new with a gig bag for $400.
    My .02
    Shane