Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

inexpensive 6 advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianmc, Sep 15, 2001.

1. brianmc

brianmc

Jun 7, 2001
    roswell, nm
    hey there, recently i have started to play my 6 string constantly. i have also purchased a G&L bass (L2000 series E) that i am selling. my question is what is a good 6, and where can i find it. im talking CHEAP, like 500 or less. i was on ebay a few weeks agoand there was a hohner b bass 6 that i liked alot with EMGs and neck through construction. 24 frets is a must have. i know theres another thread a few down but i don mean 1500 used. i was also looking at the cort curbow 6. 26 frets barto pickup slap contour. i play alot of slap and fingerfunk. currently im playing an ibanez sr406.

thanks you guys

2. Ibanez BTB406, a.k.a. "THE WINNER" :)

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, the BTB406 is the only 6 under $1000 that I would consider.

Too bad you can't save up a bit longer and get a used Peavey Cirrus 6 or Yamaha TRB6 for around $1000. They blow the BTB away.

Of course, the BTB blows away your SR406.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've had a couple Carvin 6s for years. Prefer them to the inexpensive Tobiases and the BTBs.The Cirrus is a very good and quite lovely bass IMHO, but I've never dug it quite as much as some others here. If you see a good deal on one used, though, you would not be making a mistake by pouncing on it. The TRB6 is great too, but be sure you're ready to deal with a very wide neck.

6. Right now Greg Curbow is defretting a Cort Curbow 6 string for me...I should have it within the week, I will let you now what it sounds like....BTW well under $1000....

7. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Well, for $700 you can get a custom bass, with your own design, from DP Customs. Good reviews from here so far.

www.dpcustom.com