Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive 6-channel mixer (NOT BEHRINGER)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 6, 2003.

1. I'm using Cool Edit Pro on a PC and would like a small mixer for times when I'm recording stuff like drums, multiple vocals, etc. (I'd love to be able to do the Rudy Van Gelder living room jazz thing at some point, too. :D )

Anyhow, I'd like to use outboard hardware for this. Besides the awful Behringers, the 4- and 6-channel variants of which I've been forced to use on previous occasions (I had no idea mic preamps could sound so bad), are there any decent small analog mixers out there?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Mackie pretty much defined the whole genre of which there are now a zillion clones (Behringer being the most obvious).

Some folks find even Mackies wanting but there isn't anything much better out there.

Soundcraft's Spirit line is one good alternative to Mackie. I have had great success with an older 8-channel model from them.

3. I wonder if anyone makes one with a built-in S/PDIF output...I'd prefer not to have to spring for an ADDA box.

Ah, hell, it might just be cheaper to get a Digi 001 and do the ProTools thing.

4. The Spirit M series (soundcraft) has a SPDIF out with supposedly decent pres and EQ. I think their cheaper than Mackies as well. Something like an M8 would probably suffice.

5. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I have a Peavey RQ200 I use as a mixer for my practice studio. It has six channels and one of the channels has optical and rca inputs. You can pick them up for around $190 US. Very quite and highly recommended by home studio people. This is based on some home studio web reviews I had been doing research on. YMMV YADAYADAYADA
    Lex

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile