1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Inexpensive 6 string bass w/ 19mm spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aasti3000, Aug 21, 2012.

1. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    So I've been testing some 6 string basses and found that 19mm spacing is comfortable for me as a newbie bass player. I tried the Steve Bailey bass and the Yamaha trb 6PII which are 19mm spacing.....but they want waaaaaaaaay too much money. But they were the only two that were the most comfortable out of all of the basses. Are there any inexpensive basses with 19mm spacing with a great sound? The yamaha was a beast and if I had the scratch, that would have been bought. Thanks in advance.

2. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Tell us where you are located, and what price range you are considering. :)

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Some would consider those basses to be inexpensive, given what you want.

4. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    I'm in Delaware.

@Pacman - The Steve Bailey 6 string was $1600 and the Yamaha TRB 6pII was $1700. I tried MTD, Ibanez, Peavey, etc that were ranging from $600 -$1000 which is a decent range but the spacing was too small. But $1600 is considered inexpensive??? Wow!

5. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    I think you may be hard pressed to find a non-expensive six string with that spacing. Most of the basses I've seen with those specs were custom made (Warwicks w/Broad Neck option come to mind immediately). Sometimes you can get the Brice/Agile basses from Rondomusic.com custom made, and they're cheaper than regular custom basses, but they're still ike $800-900.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yamaha is your best bet. You can get a 2nd generation TRB6 (a bolt on neck without piezo, the older TRB6P is neck through and much more expensive) for $600-$900 if you look. Generally speaking, another TB'er is right in that 19mm six string basses are rare and that you should be prepared to pony up if you want one.

7. I don't think such a beast exists. There may be used deals in the TB classifieds.

Have you ever played a 19mm 6er for an extended period of time?

I tend to find 17-18mm to be a little "faster" when you're dealing with that many strings.

8. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    spade - I didn't play them for a long period of time but I have huge hands. Once I played a 19mm spacing I just considered the perfect spacing for me with a 6er. Didn't know that they were that rare. But I'm new and I'm still learning. The yamaha felt like I wanted to walk out of the store with it. There was something about the neck that felt different from any other neck I felt. My fingers fit perfect.

9. I'm inclined to think that 19mm spacing on a 6 string requires a thinner back profile on the neck for most players to be comfortable. I question if many of the medium priced basses can go that thin without compromising structural inregrity.

If you have really big hands, it sounds like wider spacing is necessary. Going custom, 19mm spacing is no problem. Those basses used should be a little more affordable.

A friend of mine has some 20mm basses, custom of course.

I have smaller hands, but good dexterity. My 18.5mm 6 string is a Rob Allen with high-ish action to achieve a certain thuddy tone. My Conklin has insanely low action and 17mm spacing. Compared to the Rob Allen, the Conklin feels like a race car.

10. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I got my TRB6-II online browsing Guitarcenter used. $325. Couple of dings but plays and sounds great. Really solid bass if you can find one.

11. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    The only Rondo bass that had that spacing was the Brice Prestige Z6, 19mm and 35" scale. I haven't seen that bass on the Rondo site for a long time. They made a Brice 6 that was 17.5mm and 34" scale, with a laminated top, but even that hasn't been up on Rondo for quite some time.

The Yamaha is a great deal, if you can find a good used one. Or a good used Brice Prestige Z6 .... but both of them are difficult to locate lately .... :atoz:

12. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    $1600 for a Fender Steve Bailey is a steal. I got mine new for $2500 just before Fender stopped making them that makes it a collectors item. The guy at the shop told me that it was the first time that he sold an instrument that Appreciated in value before it left the shop and I'm totally in love with it.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

13. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    ESP makes six-stringers for <$500, check their site for spacing on the less expensive models. Finding a dealer is another matter.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't know what amused me more, a bass that hasn;t been produced for maybe 1 or 2 years being considered a "collector's item" or your "Stay brown" part... I am going to hope that means something that isn't racist... :confused:

15. stix_clgi

stix_clgi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Accokeek, MD
    Yup, that's the bass I have, only mine is a 34" scale. But as another TBer said the neck is pretty hefty, reminds me of a Spector Legend neck if you've ever played one of those. The stock pups and preamp are actually pretty nice for a bass that costs as little as it did, but I threw some Tesla pups and a Pope preamp and it sings now!

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a screaming deal!:hyper:

The catch is that if this is the TRB6II with 35" scale, it actually has 18mm spacing at the bridge.:bassist:

17. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I got the bass new a couple of years ago. It was one of the last of not many produced. If I had an axe that only about 500 were produced 2 years ago and I had number 499 that would still be a collectors item. By the way how many Fender Steve Bailey basses do you see around?

Brown is the color of the Earth that we came from and the Earth that we will be buried in. When we forget that, we are screwed that is what I mean by "Stay Brown". Kind of a remember where you came from and where you're going back to. It's more of a spiritual/philosophical thing.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

18. Here's a link for a Steve Baily fretless, brand new...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/browse/used/products.jsp

19. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Rev - I think I talked to you before about the Steve Bailey. I just saw the price for a brand new one...WHOA! Then the price I got definitely is a steal. hmmmmm...and the yamaha was a steal for the price also.

bassman - Thanks for the link.

Dr. Cheese - So not all of TRB's are 19mm spacing.

Bassv - Thanks for the tip. I'll do some searching there also.

Pointbass - never heard of Brice but I'll look them up.

Roger Bryan - I tested the ESP 6er. It looked and sounded great but it wasn't as comfortable for feel purposes as the Steve Bailey or the Yamaha.

Gonna search for these older model TRB-6ers since they seem affordable. Just gotta be aware of the spacing. Thanks everyone. Once I get the 6 string my GAS problem should be OVER!