Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive 6 strings???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Dec 29, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

joker from the amp forum, here. trying to make the jump to the 6 string, but not yet quite ready to make the monetary jump.

any inexpensive 6 stringer's i could get that wont break the bank? i've played an Ibanez 6 string, but the spacing was a little too close for me. same with a Warwick bolt on Thumb i tried. how are the Yamaha ones? any others i should look out for?

2. I like the Yamaha TRB6II. They're usually pretty cheap used, and the spacing is nice and wide. The necks are too thin for my tastes, but you're a Fodera guy so that probably wouldn't matter to you. I think an original bolt-on TRB6 might be up your alley, too.

I've played the Ibanez BTB406 and it would also be an excellent choice. It's wide enough to facilitate easy slapping, it balances nicely, and the tone is eminently serviceable.

3. ithinkiplaybass

ithinkiplaybass

Dec 10, 2003
    spectors, I got one. great spacing, good sound aswell... just not as smooth as a warwick.

4. go with a TRB, you cant go wrong

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA