Inexpensive 8-strings (EaAaDdGg)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 13, 2006.

1. What's out there? I can think of the Dean Edge and Rhapsody 8, a couple of Schecters, and the ESP B-208. Is Musicvox still in business? Does anyone else who isn't a boutique/custom builder still make these things?
  2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  3. That's a little bit too, uh, outré for my tastes. I'm more interested in the traditional JPJ/Jeff Ament 8-string sound. It'd be a nifty playing challenge, though.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    There was a fretted a while back...
  5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    the Schecter is a pretty solid 8 string. I think that Carlo Robelli makes an 8 that is sold through
  6. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Another option is a company called Gavelston. They make 8 strings, 10 strings 12 strings, etc.
  7. TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Depending on your budget, I'm pretty sure Joe Zon still makes a Sonus 8-string. Pretty sweet.

EDIT: Ooops. Probably not "inexpensive", but maybe you could track down used one? My bad.
  8. i dont know anyone who makes one with 3 a's and one e;) ... but if your willing to settle for 2e's and 2 a's, rouge makes one

*for those of you who couldnt tell, i knew that he didnt mean to say a 3 times
  9. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004

but Galvestons, IMO, suck a big one. They're bad for their price...

...and their price is VEEEEERY low.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Could always get a Fender knockoff and a Warmoth 8 string conversion neck and bridge.
  11. Yeah, that's a possibility. I like me some big fat necks, and the Warmoth neck is monstrous.
  12. I cheated and bought a Line 6 Variax 700 bass. It has a 8 and 12-string in it.
  13. some other choices

used Washburn usa or import ($450-650)
    used Kramer as long as your hands can handle the metal neck ($500-$700)

not sure what used Hamer imports go for, maybe check with

I like my Washburn import enough that I sold my Kramer. The particular model I have is a bit less rock & roll but that was fine for me. There are quite a variety of Washburns floating around I have seen several different models of USA neck throughs along with the bolt on RB import models like I have. I very recently saw one (usa I think) model with a hockey stick headstock that I had never seen before - they wanted somewhere around 500-600 used I think.

14. I know you are looking for an eight, but I don't think Hamer actually made an 8 overseas, just the 12 (could be wrong though) - and here's an 12 on the 'bay.

Now I personally perfer the 8 over the 12 (somewhat easier to play, a little lighter, cleaner sounding) but I had to get a Hamer USA 8, very pricey - back in the early nineties there weren't too many options.

Good luck!
  15. Aha, quite possible I am confused about the Hamer imports since, now that you mention it, I have only seen the 12s for sure as imports.

I too prefer 8s, though I have not been playing mine much lately.

16. Wimps!!!!

Go 12, or go home!