1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Inexpensive 8-strings (EaAaDdGg)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 13, 2006.

1. What's out there? I can think of the Dean Edge and Rhapsody 8, a couple of Schecters, and the ESP B-208. Is Musicvox still in business? Does anyone else who isn't a boutique/custom builder still make these things?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  3. That's a little bit too, uh, outré for my tastes. I'm more interested in the traditional JPJ/Jeff Ament 8-string sound. It'd be a nifty playing challenge, though.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    There was a fretted a while back...

5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    the Schecter is a pretty solid 8 string. I think that Carlo Robelli makes an 8 that is sold through Musiciansfriend.com

6. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Another option is a company called Gavelston. They make 8 strings, 10 strings 12 strings, etc.
    Peace

7. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    Depending on your budget, I'm pretty sure Joe Zon still makes a Sonus 8-string. Pretty sweet.

EDIT: Ooops. Probably not "inexpensive", but maybe you could track down used one? My bad.

8. i dont know anyone who makes one with 3 a's and one e;) ... but if your willing to settle for 2e's and 2 a's, rouge makes one

*for those of you who couldnt tell, i knew that he didnt mean to say a 3 times

9. Oops.

10. UtBDan

UtBDan

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut

but Galvestons, IMO, suck a big one. They're bad for their price...

...and their price is VEEEEERY low.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Could always get a Fender knockoff and a Warmoth 8 string conversion neck and bridge.

12. Yeah, that's a possibility. I like me some big fat necks, and the Warmoth neck is monstrous.

13. I cheated and bought a Line 6 Variax 700 bass. It has a 8 and 12-string in it.

14. some other choices

used Washburn usa or import ($450-650)
    used Kramer as long as your hands can handle the metal neck ($500-$700)

not sure what used Hamer imports go for, maybe check with rockcityguitars.com

I like my Washburn import enough that I sold my Kramer. The particular model I have is a bit less rock & roll but that was fine for me. There are quite a variety of Washburns floating around I have seen several different models of USA neck throughs along with the bolt on RB import models like I have. I very recently saw one (usa I think) model with a hockey stick headstock that I had never seen before - they wanted somewhere around 500-600 used I think.

Peace,
    S

15. I know you are looking for an eight, but I don't think Hamer actually made an 8 overseas, just the 12 (could be wrong though) - and here's an 12 on the 'bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hamer-Chaparral...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now I personally perfer the 8 over the 12 (somewhat easier to play, a little lighter, cleaner sounding) but I had to get a Hamer USA 8, very pricey - back in the early nineties there weren't too many options.

Good luck!

16. Aha, quite possible I am confused about the Hamer imports since, now that you mention it, I have only seen the 12s for sure as imports.

I too prefer 8s, though I have not been playing mine much lately.

Peace,
    S

17. Wimps!!!!

Go 12, or go home!

;)