Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive acoustic bass, say $300-400 (ballpark figure) to do some unplugged type stuff with a church gig and maybe a coffeehouse type gig. Opinions please.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Dean, Ibanez and their are countless small name company putting out acoustic basses.

3. I have been gassing for an acoustic for over a year now but never found the extra cash to plunk down on one so far. One thing I can tell you is that the cheap ones have ZERO volume when played unplugged, matter of fact most of the expensive ones are the same.
    The only one I could find that had a decent volume unplugged was the Tacoma Thunder chief. If you are planning on playing out without an amp I suggest you save your money for one of those. Go to a GC and test them out and you will see my point.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    On that note, Olympia makes a cheaper import version of the Chief with a set neck rather than the bolt-on. It's reputed to have the same acoustic volume as the Chief.

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Oscar SChmidt

6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    These guys make some pretty nice Acoustic Basses ->Michael Kelly Basses. I've heard good things and the prices are pretty reasonable.

7. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Dont waste your dough, I have tryed several. Buy you a used Gallien Krueger MB150 and use your regular bass at church like I do. You could even add a fretless to your arsonal. My Godin A5 Fretless sounds great throgh my little GK amp, and my pastor loves it on the laid back acostic stuff at church. i have hear the Tacomo, taylor, martin, takamine, guild, washburn, fender, yamaha, et all. None are really loud enough for even moderate volumes. You could consider a doghouse bass, much better tone and volume.

deBassMan :ninja:

8. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    +1

I have one of these and it is WAY louder than anything else out on the market. It would fit in your price range too.

9. i have a jb player acoustic bass that i may be selling. i only used it from practice. o ye its a acoustic/electric so it does have a hidden pickup in it and a 4 band eq. i have actuallynever tried it through an amp, but it sounds great acousticly

10. Here is a good deal on ebay for a tacoma cb-10e4.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2385&item=3730612105&rd=1

I wish I would have found one at that price when I was shopping for one. I spent $750 for mine off of ebay.

Oh, and the Tacoma Thunderchief is probably the loudest abg you can buy (imho). I play in a bluegrass band and we usually practice acoustically and my Tacoma can be heard fine even with a banjo, dobro and guitar.

And one other plus is that is sounds great plugged in too.