Inexpensive acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I'm thinking about buying an inexpensive acoustic bass, say $300-400 (ballpark figure) to do some unplugged type stuff with a church gig and maybe a coffeehouse type gig. Opinions please.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Dean, Ibanez and their are countless small name company putting out acoustic basses.
  3. I have been gassing for an acoustic for over a year now but never found the extra cash to plunk down on one so far. One thing I can tell you is that the cheap ones have ZERO volume when played unplugged, matter of fact most of the expensive ones are the same.
    The only one I could find that had a decent volume unplugged was the Tacoma Thunder chief. If you are planning on playing out without an amp I suggest you save your money for one of those. Go to a GC and test them out and you will see my point.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    On that note, Olympia makes a cheaper import version of the Chief with a set neck rather than the bolt-on. It's reputed to have the same acoustic volume as the Chief.
  5. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
  6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    These guys make some pretty nice Acoustic Basses ->Michael Kelly Basses. I've heard good things and the prices are pretty reasonable.
  7. 1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Dont waste your dough, I have tryed several. Buy you a used Gallien Krueger MB150 and use your regular bass at church like I do. You could even add a fretless to your arsonal. My Godin A5 Fretless sounds great throgh my little GK amp, and my pastor loves it on the laid back acostic stuff at church. i have hear the Tacomo, taylor, martin, takamine, guild, washburn, fender, yamaha, et all. None are really loud enough for even moderate volumes. You could consider a doghouse bass, much better tone and volume.

deBassMan :ninja:
  8. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

I have one of these and it is WAY louder than anything else out on the market. It would fit in your price range too.
  9. i have a jb player acoustic bass that i may be selling. i only used it from practice. o ye its a acoustic/electric so it does have a hidden pickup in it and a 4 band eq. i have actuallynever tried it through an amp, but it sounds great acousticly
  10. Here is a good deal on ebay for a tacoma cb-10e4.

I wish I would have found one at that price when I was shopping for one. I spent $750 for mine off of ebay.

Oh, and the Tacoma Thunderchief is probably the loudest abg you can buy (imho). I play in a bluegrass band and we usually practice acoustically and my Tacoma can be heard fine even with a banjo, dobro and guitar.

And one other plus is that is sounds great plugged in too.