Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

inexpensive basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by msangster, Jan 9, 2004.

1. What is a good inexpensive bass that can be used for funk,slap,r&b gigs? 500 and under.

2. well, my first suggestion would be essex. they are quality basses for their prices, you can pick up a jazz for 120 dollars, just read the mega thread for more info.
    Also i would suggest fender, just because when i think of funk, slap and r&b, i kind of think of all the greats who play funk and r&b, they used a fender, jamerson is the first that comes to mind, jemmott, they all used fender. i have a mim fender, and i can do all i want with it, of course, it doesn't sound like a 2000 dollar bass, but then again, its not.
    good luck in your search,
    Charlie

3. A Mexican Fender Jazz or Precision would fit your bill nicely and can be had for $300 or less used.

4. Look for a descent used Fender Jazz bass!

If you purchase used, you will beable to find many different Fender Jazz basses for $500.00.

Actually, you can get one new for $459.95 at.........http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN136200

[​IMG]

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I agree with Treena- buy used. Every bass I've owned in the last few years was purchased or traded used. Don't focus solely on something off the rack. Preowned is a great way to go for money saved and value.

6. Stomniar

Stomniar

Dec 5, 2003
    Spring Hill FL
    <p>You might want to check into <a href="http://www.spectorbass.com/">Spector basses</a>. I own the least expensive, The Performer (?) and play funk slap style on it. I think they are running about 360.00 new. <p>In my opinion it is one of the best basses in my budget that I've ever played. I've just recently put Dean Markely SS Strings on it, words cannot explain, just awesome. Also, the tone controls on the bass allow you to choose what you want to play i.e slap, metal, traditional etc. That is one of the reasons that I like it so. Ok, I'm done rambling now.

7. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Another bass that provides a variety of tones and can therefore be used in a variety of situations is an Ibanez BTB. Even people who don't much like Ibanez tend to like this bass. I have a 5 string and love it, but I don't slap, so i don't know how it does with that.

8. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Another bass that provides a variety of tones and can therefore be used in a variety of situations is an Ibanez BTB. Even people who don't much like Ibanez tend to like this bass. I have a 5 string and love it, but I don't slap, so i don't know how it does with that.

9. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Take a look at ebay and do a search for Washburn XB-900. They are great basses that sometimes sell for $500.00 and up and they are on sale for about $300.00. They have a Seymour Duncan Basslines MM pickup and a three band preamp with pull up slap contour. Also, take a look at the Hammer Velocity, the one pickup model. It also has a MM style pickup and they can bo found for about the same price as the Washburn.

10. I can attest to the quality of Washburn XB900s. I recieved one for Christmas, and the quality is really, REALLY top notch. Really nice funk tone. I also bought from the same person on that eBay auction, and they were really a pleasure to deal with.