Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive, but decent bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AuroraStar, Nov 23, 2000.

1. AuroraStar

AuroraStar

Apr 15, 2000
    My mother won't give me over 400 or 500 to get a bass, I'd be lucky if I had 300...but I'm on a Fender Mexican jazz, and I really want a new bass, one that's not a Fender...I played an Ibanez Ergodyne, and the pickups seem too clunky for me..ack, suggestions...

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Ibanez sucks... at least everyone of them other than the BTB.. But I think u should look for a nice used bass.. thats what I would look for.. Cuz I saw some great deals on bassgear.com and more! Good Luck

DM

3. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    There are several Cort Curbows on eBay right now. I think you can get one for between 200-300...someone is selling a 6-string like I have for 325. That's a great deal. It's a pro quality bass at a fraction of the cost.

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    There are several nice basses from Epiphone in your price range.As good or better in sound/quality as Fenders or most anything in that range for that matter.Id urge you to give them a try.I think youll be pleasently surprised!Good luck!

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd recommend a Peavey Axcelerator or Palaedium basses, which can be had for about $300. Also, the old pre-Fender Guild Pilot basses are a great value. Ibanez Basses from before 1987 are aslo quite good, especially the Roadstar and the Musician serieses, which can also be had for about that much. Used is definitely the way to go.

Will C.:cool:

6. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I agree. Try to find a nice used bass. You could find a pre owned Spector within your price range with active electronics,quality hardware and construction. I always buy used because,for the most part, you can always sell the gear for the same price you bought it for. Brand new isn't always the best way to go. Check out the "cool links" at http://www.basically.net. Lokk for the "shops" section and see what some of these retailers have laying around. There's probably something decent within your price range.

7. The Godin SD is a very fine bass made in Canada and the US with very high quailty materials and workmanship and certainly falls within your price specs. It's definitely a major step up from the MIM Fender. Also a used G&L would also be a great bass for you and likely quite attainable at that price.

8. Don't listen to the Ibanez biggot. The Ibanez ATK-300 is a very nice bass for the price. It's not like their other basses however. It's heavy with a wide neck and a nice sound. I would take a look at one before you buy.

9. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have to admit that Ibanez doesnt make the greatest basses in the world for fine quality workmanship, but they do offer very good value. If you can only spend $400 then Ibanez is worth checking out. They make several different models to fit your needs too.

10. I was browsing through this thread and I was wondering where I could get a cheap atk, and if it is a very good bass?

11. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'm afraid I'll have to go along with Big Wheel on not necessarily taking someone's advice that a certain brand of instrument sucks. I'll put my 86 Ibanez Roadstar up against Ibanez bigot's Fender any time. There are a zillion basses in your price range new and used. Play a few if your location permits, and enjoy shopping.

Doc

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You can get quite a bit in the $400-$500 range such as Fender, Squire, Dean, Guild, Yamaha, Esp, Epiphone, Schecter, Daneelectro and Ibanez. If you dont want a Fender then Yamaha and as much as I hate to say this, Ibanez would be the way to go. Ibanez even though arent my bass of choice are fairly solid in that price range, have adequate tone and are easier to play than the yahmas, they have the slimmest necks front to back and width wise that Ive ever put my hands on. But the choice is'nt mine it's yours, so play as many brands as you can, untill you find the one that best suits your liking. Happy Hunting to you

I used to have one of those old Ibanez Roadstars Snyderz and they just dont make um like that anymore, its a shame too because they did sound good. Just had that big hockey stick looking head stock..lol

13. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Casanova,
    I agree, the hockey stick was a bit much. My 86 has 2-on-each-side tuners ala the Musician. Don't know if it is a Roadstar II vs. Roadstar thing. I wasn't trying to make a pissing contest in my previous post, just making a statement on generalization. Some of us hicks live 250 miles from the nearest music store, and will play anything we can get our hands on. My Stingray 4 fretless is my axe of choice, but the Ibanez will remain as my fretted bass.
    Doc

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Snyders,

I know your not trying to get into a pissing contest about it, I was in a little hick town called Beaufort, SC when I found my Roadstar in a pawn shop, It had all the tuning pegs on the top side of the headstock, and a p/j pickup combination, I think yours may be the Roadstar II series that came out, which I also think developed into the Soundgear Series, Which if you can get an older one of those sound better in my opinion than the Newer Sound Gear series, My main bass is a Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe. But I still wish I had that darn RoadStar.