Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive but high quality cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HolbieBaker, Feb 22, 2002.

1. HolbieBaker

HolbieBaker

Feb 21, 2002
    Dickinson, ND
    Does anyone have any suggestions or reccomendations on high quality but relatively inexpensive cabs?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would highly recommend looking at Yorkville products. They have a great reputation for building quality, good sounding cabinets with incredible value. I love the 2x10. It is a great sounding cab for the money. Good bass response, punchy and loud!

You may also want to check out Gallien Krueger. A little more money, but they are great sounding units as well.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Your definition of "realtively inexpensive" is probably the key but take a look at Genz Benz.

4. I second Aj's response. I had a 1x15 for years, and it took a lot of thrashings from my Low B and still delivered. I bought it used with a head for $350. Try ebay.

-kris

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    GK is actually pretty pricey.

I would recommend Genz Benz and Peavey, especially used ones.

I used to own a Peavey 210TX cab and I still own a Genz Benz GB-12. Each only cost me $180 used and were good, solid bass cabinets.

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Just out of curiosity because I know I want a 210 in the near future, how much is the Yorkville 210 going for?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "High quality" and "inexpensive" are pretty much mutually exclusive terms. Yorkville is one notch above Rogue. Definitely not high quality. The best you can do is find some middle ground. Carvin and Peavey will move you a little higher up on quality, and a little higher up on price. If I were you, I'd save up a little longer and get SWR. Yes, it's definitely not inexpensive, but you won't be replacing it as soon as you will the others, and you will have equipment that won't embarrass you at a gig.

8. You can't beat the price of used gear, or home-built (if you know your ways). It's all I do: equipment that I can build myself, I build myself, and the other stuff I mostly buy used.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yorkville is good, quality equipment at a fair price.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    plplplplplplplplplpl.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i toured with a goliath sr. 6x10 for years and now i have a peavey 4x10. this cab is by far the most underated cab in history. i'm thinking about gettin an acme 2x10 to use under it....maybe

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    GeGeGeGeGeGeGeGeGeGe