Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive Combo Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baktothebassics, Aug 16, 2004.

1. I am in need of a combo amp that can handle practice, and small gigs. I either want a 35 watt or I may be able to spring for a 50+ watt, I have about 200 dollars what should I do?

I am interested in the Ibanez either 35 watt, or maybe the 65. Please give me some feedback on these.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  3. I had a 50 watt 1x15 combo amp and I had to literally crank every knob all the way to be heard over a reasonable drummer. Go for 100-150 watts for practice or small gigs and you will be very happy, even if you save more money.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For $200 get a used Peavey TNT or "Combo" model.

That 35 watt Ibanez will get buried on a gig. I am also not impressed with the build quality and sound of the Ibanez amps.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You just might be able to find an Ampeg in your price range, their solid amplification.

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Used Yorkville XM200 or XM200T! 200 watts, not overly heavy, but they're loud!

7. Crate BX100! 15" driver, Great sound (mine anyway). Ported, 8 band EQ, gain, master level, balanced line out for PA hookup knobs, pre/post eq pad, effects loop, and speaker out for external cab, headphone jack, shape/contour controls, 0db/-15db pad. I really do like the sound. Tolex covering. It will work fine for smaller shows, practice, home recording, whatever.

find one used. they tend to be overpriced new.

8. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I wouldn't recommend the Minx 110, unless that's all you can afford.. I have one, and while it's pretty loud for it's size.. it sounds awful.

I think Yorkvilles are nice for the price, as well as the Ampeg BA Series.

9. yea dude you cnat get anything under 100 watts unless you are in a acoustic band. i recomend the yorkville xm22 or the xm200t, 1x15 or 2x10, there both the smae though besides the speakers

10. I would definately save some more cash man. Because with a 50 watt youll find your self wanting alot more, very soon... My advice is to find a nice used peavey tnt 115 or 160 or a nice Fender Rumble 100. Good solid amp, and its loud enough to play with a guitarist ( with distortion) and a loud drummer. I know becuase i have one :cool:
    Hope i was helpful.