inexpensive ear plugs comparisons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Dec 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I try to make sure I don't play loud enough to need them, but I always like to have a pair with me (I keep a pair along with a clip on tuner in every bass case), as I kinda like not damaging my hearing. I use the Etemotics, which are about $12/ pair, and I like them.

What else do people use, and who has compared different ones? Recommendations?

Thanks.

rufus.K likes this.
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  3. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Have you compared them with the EARos or the Etemotics?

4. how well do they work? Do they really let all the frequencies through?

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I don't know what brand mine are but they look similar to the ones above. I get them at L&M for $20~/pair. I've been really meaning to spend the money on quality ones though. If only to have them be more discreet so I can use them onstage (ear plugs are not good for a rock image.)

6. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I doubt most people could tell the difference between ear plugs and IEMs.

Your hearing is worth more than your "cool".

7. KJMO

KJMO Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I use the etymotics also, and I think with the clear/white ones they're pretty hard for the crowd to really see. They don't really give you just a quieter full-range sound, but they're less muffled than the foam ones. I like when people say they're used to the loudness, like it's the same as getting into good physical shape ;)

I used to think by the time I got old, I wouldn't care whether I could hear or not. Now, I carry them with me so that if there's anything even moderately loud I don't WANT to hear, I just throw them in. I'm saving what little I have left for things I really enjoy hearing. Plus, I think concerts and movies sound better with them in (I forget they're there).

8. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Etemotics

9. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The etemotics are pretty full range. Obviously not as good as custom ones, but the sound is surprisingly clear - world of difference from foam plugs. Worth the money.

robd likes this.
  10. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Yes

11. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I don't like reusing the same pair of ear plugs or using someone else's used pair (yuck!)

I just take these from the hangar I work at.

"No touch" earplugs
    images.jpg

12. bassfran

bassfran Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I've used every kind of ear plugs available over the years, even those pricey, custom molded ones.
    Now I just use foam plugs from the hardware store or pharmacy. I prefer them to silicone as they provide a tighter fit and they're pretty cheap to replace. Never leave home without 'em.

13. I have custom molded ones, defjnitsly worth the money. I feel lkke they are somethinf you can use forever, and your hearing is so important, so the price isnt too important

14. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    I have the custom molded ones too, they're clear with a little chip thing inside them. Carry case says "Hear Savers" on them. I got them for $100 In 2007 as part of a group buy, they were usually $250 apparently. That seems like a long time and I probably need new ones, I was 19 at the time and my ears have probably grown as they feel a little loose now, but I don't really want to drop that much cash again! I can't stand the foam ones and I've had some of those 'musician' earplugs break off in my ears before, so not really sure what to replace them with.

15. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021