Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Inexpensive extension cab for GK 200MB combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting an extension cabinet to run with my GK 200MB combo. It must be 8 ohm, pretty light, and under $300.

I've used my Avatar 2x10 from time to time, and it's ok, but too big. I'm thinking 1x10 or 1x12. Of course, what would be ideal is to get Don at LDS to do a 1x12 for me, but I don't need anything too terribly special. Maybe something a little brighter than the internal 12, which I find to be pretty dark, but low-mid grunt is pretty important too.

Not too sure if I'll actually go through with it, but just something for me to muse on while I wait for the 2x12 / 2x6 to be done.

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Some possibilities that came to mind quickly...

GK MB112 - $279, 13 pounds, and probably a great match for your MB200

Dr. Bass RX112 - $249, 32 pounds

Eden CX110 - $299, 26 pounds

It was a little over your budget but I just picked up a Eden Nemesis NSP115 on an open box special for $340. It just arrived yesterday and I've only been able to run it at low volume but at first listen I like what I heard. Weight is only 32 pounds, nice round low end, sounds pretty balanced, though the tweeter sounds kind of hissy when I'm not playing. That model line might be another option if you can find one used or on a scratch-n-dent kind of sale like I did.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm definately willing to go used too, so I think that might open the options up.

Like on eBay, they have an EA CXL110, an Eden CX110, and an LDS 1x8 3-way for under $200.

Has anyone tried anything like this with a GK combo?

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I inadvertantly left out that I have a GK MB150S, which I believe is simply the current version of your MB200. Nice little amp! I haven't played it with any of the cabinets you mentioned but they're all pretty nice. If your amp is as clean/uncolored sounding as I'm guessing it is then most any decent quality cabinet should sound just fine with it.

And yes, used is a great way to go if you want to get the most for the least. Have you checked the For Sale Or trade forum here at Talkbass? ;)

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Every day. :)