1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Inexpensive, good, 4 string bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Do those words go together??

I know this post is gonna sound like the kind of posts we hate to see, but I just spent $1050 on my shiny new Eden WT550, but now I realize that my bass guitar might have to go or change.

MAIN QUESTION: recommend a inexpensive (about $200 new or used) bass that is bright and twangy even when played with finger pluck. Like a Ibanez GSR200. (read further if I'm not clear)

Over the past 7 years I've had 4 basses: Squire pbass special, Godin SD, G&L sb-1 (1985), and now a Rickenbacker 4001 (1978). I'm slowly realizing that because I like to use my fingers and NOT a pick I need a brighter guitar for good cut through. Our church owns an Ibanez GSR200 (1999?) not a fancy guitar by any means. but I like the way that the pickups "pickup" the string twang and ocilations is so much brighter and clearer than my Rik. its got me thinking about guitars. If I could I might just pick up an ibanez myself, but I'm afraid if I don't get the exact year and combination of woods and pickups that is might sound dull and boring like alot of cheaper guitars

If I had the money I'd probably be looking into a modulus flea bass.:crying:

or should I put different pickups in my rik? its been monified once.

thanks

2. Mcrelly -

IMO, your concern can be handled with a new/different set of strings. Some nice roundwounds might be just the ticket.

BTW - where in Minnesota are you? (I live in Woodbury)

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

SX,,,,, or you can try to find a used MIM under 200 somehow....

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I've tried stainless steel strings, I don't play with a pick, but I was thinking about learning.

Crystal,MN.

5. Just a question, Did you do the capacitor bypass mod to your rick? I've read on this board that it makes a world of differences. just do a search and you will find instructions.:hyper:

6. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    The Ibanez SRX400 is a great point and shoot 4 that really cuts through the mix. Very aggressive, cutting tone.
    If your Ric is not bright and twangy enough, I don't really know what would top the potential of that bass. They do seem to lose the liveliness when the strings start dieing.
    Also, the Cort Curbow was very twangy, but the pre seemed a tad too noisy for my tastes.

7. seidler

seidler

Dec 18, 2005
    SX from rondomusic.com

8. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Try some DR High beams before you go buying a new bass!

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just bought an old Peavey T-40 for less than $200, and it has a pretty bright high end, and is a good bass all-around (except for the weight).

Tom.

10. phillys

phillys

Feb 4, 2006
    Malaysia
    Hey Mcrelly, here's a thread that I posted about my GSR205:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236369

My GSR205 should be a pretty recent model, if I'm not mistaken, and I must say that it's a very reliable bass. Lots of tone(and again, in my humble opinion) and very light.

Do consider getting one :)

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    anyone know of some specific websites that detail how to do the rickenbacker mod??

I have a 1978 4001.

thanks

12. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

You can try a peavey foundation, they have this overwound single coil sound that can be pretty bright.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  14. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    and do some mods to it

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The mod bypasses a cap on the Bridge pup and the overall output becomes more bassy, not more bite.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    A couple of suggestion.
    You mentioned the G&L sb-1 Some of the early G&L sb-1 or better yet SB-2's(same as the -1 but with 2 single big single coils) had maple bodies and neck/fingerboard. REAL bright and "Twangy" if that can be used to describe a bass! You might have a tough time finding one for $200 though.

Another thought would be the SX Ash bodied, maple neck/fingerboard J bass. That one ought to be bright and snappy. Haven't played that particular one, but it looks good on paper anyway.

I'd also try the Cap mod on the Rick.. Or Swapping out the volume and tone pots for a higher value one could make a big difference too. 1 meg pots can make a big difference in brightness, and that'll cost alot less than $200.

17. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Put a set of D'Addario Pro Steels on your Ric. You can thank me later. :D

18. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Well, I'm starting to think I had the wrong impression of what was good about the Ibanez with the band. it wasn't that the ric wasn't bright enough, but the mid-bump or prominant frequencies that fit in good with the band are in two different ranges. The ric has a slightly lower bump frequency than the Ibanez, but I don't know what frequency it is.

Also my ric has been modified with seymour duncan ric replacement pickups. My friend at the store says he likes the sound of mine compared to standard ric pickups. If it turns out that my guitar already has the "cap-mod" then I'll ask him to put the old pickups into to see how they sound

What year and model is your ric? are the pickups original? did you have the cap mod done? thanks

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

My Ric is a 77 with no mod. The original configuration has a cap on the bridge pup that cuts out some of the bass response from that pup. The Mod is simply bypassing this cap with a wire. This will give some more mids and a lot more bottom to that pup.
    If I ever mod mine, I'll use a push/pull knob that engages/disengages the cap (a similar knob to the fender S1 thing), that way I don't have to add a switch to the front.