1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Inexpensive Hammond B3 tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lfmn16, Jan 5, 2012.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Is there any way to get a Hammond B3-like tone on the bass without spending a ton of money? I'm not trying to NAIL the sound, just get some approximation of an organ tone without breaking the bank.

Thanks!

2. How big is your bank?

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    EHX HOG or POG

4. POG2 with a Leslie sim would be about the closest.

Interestingly, Hammond organs also have three Vibrato settings and three Chorus settings that are part of their characteristic sound. These operate independently of the Leslie. So, Leslie plus a chorus/vibrato pedal might be the answer.

5. For "organ bass" I use an octaver* and pluck up on the neck or with my thumb, lines played an octave up with just a touch of original signal.
    *In my case either a Boss OC2 or the one in the Zoom B2/B2.1u.

6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Do you have a microscope? :D

I'm looking to keep it under $200. This is really a self-indulgent side project I'm working on ... I guess all of my music is self-indulgent!

7. Best bet is prolly a used POG 2

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Yup, save your $$$

9. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    At $200 I'd go with a micro POG for organ tones.

Edit: Used POG2, like delta phoenix suggested, is an even better idea.

10. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    I'd say a leslie simulator should be the first thing you get. A POG might give you more of the timbre of an "organ" but the leslie is really the sonic signature of a hammond in a lot of ways, especially if you get a sim that does the speeding up/slowing down part.

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks to all for the feedback.

12. For under 2 bills I'd either go POG or chain up an octave, phaser &/or chorus. Maybe a light OD/dirt, ideally a real tube somewhere. I am probably the least qualified to comment here mind you, but the coffee is controlling my mind this morning. :)

13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks. I'll try this out. I've got all those pedals now, I'm just looking for a place to start.

14. I'll echo the POG + leslie suggestion. Even POG + any old phaser with the speed set pretty high and the resonance/regen set low will get you a good portion of the way there.

15. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    the BOSS SE-70 (half rack) does a great leslie sim with a EV-5 expression pedal connected to it, you can edit the rise and fall rates. BOSS RE-20 is great as well. either of those with a Pog would be great.

16. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Pretty sure there's a video on EHX's website where they demo how to get an organ sound using a POG or POG 2.

17. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Didn't tech 21 come out with a chorus that's supposed to be Leslieish?

18. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Line6 M5 or FM4 can do it. Albeit Monophonically...

19. The Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere nails the Leslie sound IME.

20. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA